Win's next 10kV project, a 1us ramp

From the .pdf, "The Iout current (bold blue trace) starts in about 20ns, but shows a 1.8% drop during the pulse, from 270mA to 265mA..."

Make that a 4% drop, and, from 275 to 265mA. Still not too bad.

Differentiating the output-voltage ramp, we get a -8.3GV/s slope from 36ns until 300ns, afterwhich the slope drops gradually to -8.0GV/s at 400ns, then faster to -7.5GV/s at 435ns, where the output voltage is only 250V, and pulse is nearly done.

And yes, that's right, an 8 GV/s voltage-slewing rate! Well, OK, that's 8kV/us in more common terms. But it still impresses me. I wonder if it's real.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Fascinating stuff. OK, it is a simulation, but apparent success is almost unbelievable. What does the energy in each die look like, per pulse?

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

"Ancient_Hacker" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

No need at all for transconductance matching. This is just a string of cascoded cascodes.

Win, I first thought that there could be some pb with mosfets' capacitance mismatch, but there isn't: you start with high voltage, equally distributed between all the MOSFETs (due to the 10M) which is then reduced by the capacitive string, whatever the capacitance mismatch. Thus the voltage can never exceed the peek voltage you choose and this relieve you from adding... additional Fets. It'd had been more painful had you wanted a positive ramp... (looking at the datahseet) Hmm, maybe even not since they are nicely avalanche rated. And their low Qgd will help too. So, resetting the output voltage will probably require no extra care.

My guess is that with such a low Qgd (6.5nC is 20V on 330p) that you can probably lower the 330p, to maybe 100p, and reduce the capacitive string "parasitic" current.

As for the ID falling at the end of pulse, it can only come from a gate-source current but I think it's unlikely on a real fet: at 150V VDS you're still well in the gate plateau and thus it can't be a CGS current. Did you check your model on this point?

It's not clear to me where the ID prop delays and VGS prop delay/spike comes from (not much time available) but I guess the Coss(s?) have something to do there.

When I saw your first post about this "self dividing cascode" I thought yes, that's the ticket. I still think it is. And pretty elegant too.

I started to build a spice sim, but the editor crashed before I had a chance to save. Can you send me your file (I too run intusoft). That'll save some of the time I'm short of ATM.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Yes, I thought of that, we'll see how it progresses.

It's a puzzle, I'm going to look again when I get to work.

The prop delay is easy to understand, consider the sinking current from the source and assign it all to charging up Ciss, until the MOSFET gate gets up to the right conduction region. That's why I pre-biased the string at 0.3mA, to reduce the charging voltage, and the delay time. One thing, the abnormally-high Vgs my modified FET model exhibits can only further slow the modeled prop delay. So the real circuit may be faster. But the factory's Rg value may be too low, and gate spreading resistance may mean the real circuit will be slower... Funny thing, spreading resistance. Some of the FET's gate structure is immediately available, some is delayed a bit, and the rest is delayed a lot. So a good high-speed model would divide the FET into paralleled sections, each with its own spreading resistance values, from low to high.

OK, I've posted the files to my website. Have fun.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Any real circuit I make will have the diodes. But for some reason I've had difficulty getting Spice to converge with lots of cascode MOSFETs and with gate-source zener diodes. I have to isolate the zeners with series resistors to the point they don't contribute to the performance, so I've learned to leave them out from the start. The zener's capacitance is under ~ 20% of the MOSFET's Ciss anyway. Yes, I know that's another error. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yeah, but unbelievable can cut both ways, check the results with the unmodified Fairchild model for unbelievable!

Good question. The power starts out at about 1kW, has a short 10ns peak to 1.3kW and ramps down. According to spice, that's a minuscule 211uJ during the 450ns duration I have in this test.

The FQD2N100 datasheet says its rated at 160mJ for the test pulse, "L = 120mH, IAS = 1.6A, VDD = 50V, RG = 25, Starting TJ = 25°C" which works out to, let's see, Bvdss-Vdd is say 1150V, so we get dI/dt = 1150/0.12 = 9583A/s, or 167us long. Scaling this to the 1us pulse I'm aiming at, using the square-root rule, I'm allowed 160/sqrt 167 = 12.4mJ. So our 0.21mJ is truly minuscule. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win