Wima capacitors any good these days?

John Larkin schrieb:

[...]

Are you really sure? I only know such types which are made by Siemens:

CU

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Am 12.09.2011 17:44, schrieb Michael A. Terrell:

As well as Wima dropped the "LakritzBonbons" over fifty years ago, too!

[...]

Jorgen dj0ud

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

ma =3D

ts =3D

200=3D

I think maybe Wima had a bad run or something and that caused bad press. I know they sold a god awful number of caps when CCFTs were the thing. (royer oscillator)

Reply to
miso

It takes a helluva surge to fuse the grains in a bulk medium, carbon comp matrix. They fail, just usually open. They rarely fail toward lower resistance (shorted). That is why they are the ONLY type one should use as a limiter and as the arc suppressor in an HV circuit.

Metal films will fuse or open almost immediately.

The "short of abuse" line is pretty stupid, since their designed purpose is typically that of a surge suppressor and is meant to expect a window of pulses that exceed the spec of the part (for continuous duty).

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

Wima capacitors that failed.

lists Wima for that voltage.

0.047F2000V=20

maybe.

So, all in all, it is always; let the buyer beware.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Werner

On a sunny day (Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:11:08 +0800) it happened Werner wrote in :

Nice website, fast and clear :-) Better than all those slow company crap websites.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje