Anything better than OPA656 these days, Bill?

Hi:

(With a particular invite to Bill Sloman, who cued me to OPA655 a while back)

I'll be building a photodiode amp. I was planning to use OPA655 which was "the best" for this purpose a few years ago. It is now obsolete, replaced by OPA656. These are not stocked by my usualy distributors. I will likely give them a call and see if they can get me a handful.

But since a few years have passed, I wonder if any of you analog experts can recommend any new improved models?

My specs/requirements are highly vague. I will be making an amp that can interchance a variety of photodiodes, though not necessarily exchanging widely differing types on the same amp PCB. But the PCB will be used with biased PC and unbiased PV diodes, with capacitances from the low 10pf to 1000pf range. Of course, the compensation will have to be adjusted for these different applications, but I'd like to use an op-amp that can reach 10-20MHz BW with the faster PC diodes.

The amp will also have two stages of amplification, a transimpedance stage (the OPA656 or better op-amp) with selectable gains of 100, 1k,

10k, 100k, and 1M ohm. Then a 1-2-5-10-50-100 amplification stage, followed by a selectable cutoff filter in decades from 10MHz down to 10Hz.

A lot of knobs! This will be a general purpose optics lab type photodiode detector. It's main driver is to measure flashlights for luminance. But I'd like to use it for some wide-band experimenting too.

Thanks for input.

Good day!

--
_____________________
Christopher R. Carlen

I've not come across anything better, but I've not been looking out for fast op amps recently either.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

The opa657 is a better choice, and is stocked at DigiKey. It's not a unity-gain opamp, but as you should know, properly-designed transimpedance amplifiers don't need unity-gain opamps. Still, I'll miss the opa655, with its miniDIP package and cool isolated input-stage power connections.

I'll say. Not a good idea. The best amplifiers are optimized for the gain, bandwidth and input-capacitance region in which they'll be used. You'll end up doing a lot of work, but get an inferior instrument. If your goal is flexibility, I suggest an opamp with lower voltage-noise and more input capacitance, like the LT1792, with 4nV/rt-Hz at 1kHz compared to 6nV for the opa657. Then you can make another customized high-speed amplifier using the opa657.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Actually perhaps OPA627 might give a little more BW than LT1792 with about the same noise.

I used LT1792 in a 9Gohm total transimpedance amp with about 3 or 10kHz BW (can't recall) once. It sure was sensitive. Almost like a PMT. It was to look at a small sample volume imaged from a faint blue turbulent methane in air flame.

Win, the distressing fact is that I would love to learn enough to highly optimize just about anything, but functional non-optimal results seem always to have greater value than optimized designs in 90% of real-world problems. If I needed something optimized, I'd just spend the $800 or so for a detector from a company like New Focus and be done with it. But non-optimum is very Ok in a case where I'd simply like to improve upon the performance of a PD with a battery and 1k resistor in a box.

I was down to zero hours a week for studying and hobby projects for the past year since having the baby. At work it's not much better, with broken lasers needing fixing all the time coupled with having committed to several very big electronics projects (mostly digital and uC/DSP oriented, something on which one can wing-it without a lot of analysis). They'll be looking for a new Laser Tech soon to let me concentrate on electronics. That ought to improve things. Also, I've managed to commit myself to a 30 minute per day project session at home. It seems that the right strategy was to go for a little bit of time every day, rather than a big multi-hour session once or twice a week.

I started a thorough analytical study of photodiode amps a few months ago, but shelved it due to time pressures. I'm forgetting stuff faster than I'm learning anymore.

Oh well...

--
Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and
"BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

I agree, the opa627 would be a better choice. Actually the 80MHz opa637 would be even better! I'd go with that (and have done so).

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On 7 Apr 2006 07:11:39 -0700, Winfield Hill wrote in Msg.

Don't forget my all-time favorite, the OPA627. Damn, I've been looking for a similar part (~5nV/rt-Hz@1kHz, 2pA bias current, +/-15V supply, GBW dosn't matter) for a long time and found none. The 627 beats all. I like the LT1792 but can't live with 400pA of input bias. One would expect input bias current to be roughly proportional to input capacitance (FET area), but this certainly doesn't hold for the 627 (8pF,2pA) vs. the 1792 (14pF,300pA). I wonder wy that is. Probably different process.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

On 7 Apr 2006 13:51:34 -0700, Winfield Hill wrote in Msg.

I've failed to get the 637 stable in a TIA configuration, probably due to undefined source resistance which enters in the total voltage gain of the circuit.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest