Why does..

Dust always collect on the TV screen first? I know there's some scientific reason behind this phenomenon. I'm guessing some kind of residual static electricity.. Am I close?

-- blu*goddess.of.groundhogs*juju blu 3=3 master of irrelevance Lits Slut#5 Gutter Chix0r #2 Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.

-Jim Morrison

blu

Don't be silly.

Your TV is quite properly embarrassed at the garbage it's forced to display and is attracting dust in order to hide its face.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

--
Yup.
Reply to

20 some thousand volts inside the crt tends to do that.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

WHOA! It just hit me...it would be so COOL to do a Millikan "oil-drop" experiment with a television and dust!

Tim

-- "Librarians are hiding something." - Steven Colbert Website @

Tim Williams

What do you do during commercials?

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Why ???

1) The maid didn't clean it.. 2) You don't want to know..It's old CRT tech. Buy a LCD tv and have more modern questions. 3) If you see the dust, you are watching too close 4) Obsessive compulsive cleanliness is treatable. 5) God is trying to tell you tv is bad and you should read a book on physics. 6) Dust mites like to watch tv while eating skin flakes. 7) Mr. Electron doesn't want to return to the source 8) The tv has a special air cleaning feature.

But seriously... Maybe it's a combo of screen charge and convection air flow around the tv. The electronics get warm which creates rising air above the tv.. This draws dusty air from the floor. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

" snipped-for-privacy@bid.nes" wrote in news:1177373897.141521.156680 @n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I don't doubt it.

--
blu*goddess.of.groundhogs*juju
          blu 3=3
    master of irrelevance
        Lits Slut#5
      Gutter Chix0r #2
blu

Meat Plow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.sun-meatplow.local:

I'm *well* aware of the volts that lurk inside there.. oh yea.. *well* aware. Just didn't realise they collected dust.

--
blu*goddess.of.groundhogs*juju
          blu 3=3
    master of irrelevance
        Lits Slut#5
      Gutter Chix0r #2
blu

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:bEfXh.2266$os3.157 @newsfe12.lga:

I'm sorry. I don't have any electrodes laying around. Not to my knowledge, anyway.

--
blu*goddess.of.groundhogs*juju
          blu 3=3
    master of irrelevance
        Lits Slut#5
      Gutter Chix0r #2
blu

Mike Monett wrote in news:Xns991C909BA056Noemailadr@

208.49.80.251:

Might I suggest those real estate infomercials? < please?? >

--
blu*goddess.of.groundhogs*juju
          blu 3=3
    master of irrelevance
        Lits Slut#5
      Gutter Chix0r #2
blu

D from BC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ha! A geek with a sense of humor. *VERY* cool!!

Thanks. That makes sense.

--
blu*goddess.of.groundhogs*juju
          blu 3=3
    master of irrelevance
        Lits Slut#5
      Gutter Chix0r #2
blu

Yes. Hewlett-Packard even used that effect to hold down the chart paper in their old flatbed analog X-Y pen plotters. The base where you put the paper was a circuit board with a pair of traces on it, covered with a white plastic sheet. On the control panel was a switch. Put a piece of chart paper down on it, and flip the switch and the paper was stuck.

Anybody know what voltage they used?

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

In the instructions for these things:

they say to swipe it across the TV screen first, to charge it! (works on monitor screens too. :-) )

So, yes, it's static. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:51:20 +0000 (UTC), blu Gave us:

The static you can collect from the exterior surface of that charged face can give a jolt.

The charge accumulated on the device itself, however, which can be accessed by touching the anode wire's node connection under the little suction cup will enlighten you far more than you are *well* aware of, I assure you.

Normally, I would say don't try this at home, but in the case of you and your neimadre asswipe worse half, I would say PLEASE DO. Do so even with the damned thing turned on. Please..

Learn a bit about static electricity and attractors in general then:

SuperM

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 04:53:19 +0000, Mike Monett Gave us:

My LCD FPD doesn't generate any noticeable static attraction or accumulation.

My superm@ssive black hole, however, attracts everything. :-]

Reply to
SuperM

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:53:56 +0000 (UTC), blu Gave us:

The inside of the TV's surface is one. It is just separated from you by the glass. The attraction is still present, however.

Reply to
SuperM

SuperM wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*Everything* you touch up here gives you a little shock. Even the cat. It's the dry air.

Yes. I believe you. The old tube-type tellys kept a good amount of electricity stored inside them that could be easily accessed by touching a screw-driver to a certain spot. Been there, done it, didn't like it.

Aww.. don't be angry. We were together long before you came along. Don't be angry.

I'll have a look after another coffee or two.

--
blu*goddess.of.groundhogs*juju
          blu 3=3
    master of irrelevance
        Lits Slut#5
      Gutter Chix0r #2
blu

SuperM wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wasn't that experiment supposed to use two additional electrodes?