Which spice?

Want to run spice on this machine. Its running Avlinux 6.04, debian based to some extent.

Package manager lists:

gwave - waveform viewer for spice simulators easyspice - graphical frontend for spice ngspice gspiceui - graphical user interface for ngspice & gnucap gnucap - circuit analysis package

Presumably I'd pick ngspice, which I've not encountered before, does it need easyspice or gspiceui with it? Or is there a version of LTspice it'll run?

thank you NT

Reply to
meow2222

LTspice runs nicely under WINE.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I use LTSpice all the time under WINE, with XBuntu as the OS. It works great.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I like that idea better. Thanks

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have used ngspice on several versions of Fedora 15, 18 and 20. No issues at all. The input is text based, and the output data format is perfectly compatible with gnuplot. The big advantage of text based input is that the netlist can be modified quickly and easily without having to edit any schematic, and then ensuring that each component is wired up correctly.

Reply to
dakupoto
[snip]

ROTFLMAO :-D

Text entry is the best way to make mistakes you can't find.

I last used text entry ~1987 whilst still on a VAX using Berkeley Spice. ...Jim Thompson

???????????????

Reply to
Bruno

I knew a guy who did mechanical drawings as text entry, prectically typing plotter files. It didn't catch on.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

it depends, if you are fiddling with transistors yes if you are doing logic and big busses text is lot easier a faster

and a diff is easy

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's a reasonable way to do automation, though, e.g. wrapping SPICE in an optimizing loop. You'd want to use the schematic entry tool to start with, though.

LTspice .asc files are human-readable and eminently hackable.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Den tirsdag den 3. februar 2015 kl. 18.13.05 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

I think Don Lancaster of Guru's Lair does all his stuff schematics, plotting, math etc. with handwritten postscript

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Don Lancaster used to do a lot of programming in Postscript.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have a lot of basic schematic "forms"... just that, a schematic form you fill in the requirements, like headroom and current-handling on a CMOS current mirror, it spits out the W/L ensuring in "saturation", worst-case process corner, hot.

Saves a lot of time. ...Jim Thompson

No, it's...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well old, that goes with out saying :)