LT Spice or Visual Spice?

I'm a beginner that would like to start learning a simulation package to aid my understand of basic electronics. I have spent a great deal of time searching the archives, and reading comments on sim software, and decided I would like to go with either LT Spice or Visual Spice. Right now I can get Visual Spice Advanced for $98. Would it be worth it to me in the long run, or should I just go with LT Spice since it's free. If it's likely I would want to upgrade someday, I'd rather spend the money to begin with, and avoid the learning curve of changing later. But the what are the odds I would ever outgrow LT Spice?

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate it,

Maxwell

Reply to
Maxwell

It doesn't get much easier than LTSpice. You can do schematic entry. Ok, maybe I am biased because I grew up in a time when text entry was the only modus operandi for simulations. And I still use the slide rule...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Slide rule... hmmm Do you still use the old text one (log table) or did you take the plunge and switched to that incredibly modern graphic one with a cursor? :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

The old saying: One thing that's constant is change...

I say start with LTSpice and then try something else when needed.

You could read the replies I got when I posted: Do Designers Do Spice Hopping?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

go with LT spice, and checkout the LTspice yahoo group, if you are not happy, ask for your money back :-) I have a feeling that LTspice will outgrow you, if you are just a beginner

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I've got two tables. Almost mil-spec with embedded washable dust covers so coffee and beer stains wipe right off. Then several modern ones with cursor. The one I use the most is the "Aristo Scholar VS". I don't own a rotational one though like Jim does. Well, my wife does but it is for gynecological ultrasound.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I attended a seminar given by the person who developed LTSpice, and who maintains it, a couple weeks ago. We got to learn a lot about the history of Spice and the things he's done to make it the best Spice around. I'd say it's unlikely you'll find a better one, if you consider everything, and highly unlikely you'll find one with support that's as good. Companies that try to make a living selling Spice will never have the resources to invest in it as does a company like Linear Technology that needs a good, stable simulation program to do their in-house designs on. In addition, it's unlikely you'll find another one that has anywhere near as active and helpful a user's group as LT spice does.

If something else works better for you, by all means go for it, but if I were you, I'd want to make sure I was actually getting a better product--one that actually did more for me--before I spent any money on it.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

Thanks a lot for your input guys, I really apprecate it.

I don't mind spending 100 or so if it would benefit me, but it doesn't sound like it would.

Reply to
Maxwell

I paid for Visual Spice about 4 or 5 years ago. I had lots of trouble with it. I went to LT Spice and I have never looked back.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John

In spite of LTspice being free, it is a quality Spice program. The Spice solver is on par, or better, than the high cost programs. Added bonus, LTspice accepts PSpice syntax. If you use LTspice, get the PSpice Reference Guide which can be found on the Internet as a PDF download.

--
Mark
Reply to