where are the guys who were crowing about the dollar being down?

Even residential landlords have it pretty easy in California. One lease I signed contained a clause that allowed them to evict me for swearing. But the f*ck*rs never caught me! Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Renting to a business is a lot simpler and it's less likely that you'll write something into a contract that turns out to be uneforcable, certainly. It's the usual case where, sure, renting to a business is probably better... but there are a lot fewer "businesses" out there than there are "residents."

Given the large number of tenants who, in the past few years, have found themselves with an eviction notice due to the landlord defaulting on their mortgage -- despite the tenant always having paid rent on-time --, I suspect that tenants' rights will become stronger in the short term here.

This is a case where I have zero sympathy for the landlords. Defaulting on your mortgage and not bothering to tell your tenants that they'll potentially be evicted at any time -- instead letting the mortgage company do the "dirty work" -- is completely unethical.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I once had a coworker who showed up one day with a showroom-fresh Volkswagen Quantum. I asked him, "When it breaks, do you take it to the quantum mechanics?"

He didn't laugh. )-;

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

... until the time comes when the last 2-3 payments are past due and the business you rented to looks as dead as it gets. With a huge mess inside.

Yeah, but as a landlord try to enforce that. Or pretty much anything else. Minor stuff, like not paying the rent ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

More tenant's rights, fewer available rentals. That's happened here, big time. Even some of the tenants don't want to be renters, hence the TIC movement, which the commies and tenant activists are fighting.

Property owners pay property taxes, but all voters vote to increase those taxes, so naturally the tenant rights folks don't want people converting from renters to owners.

John

rabbit thats what's called a golf here. The cheapest on the danish VW site is a trendline, 1.4l, in todays US dollars 39695$ if you want alumium wheels add ~3000$, electric sunroof add ~3000$

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Sure. But at least they're gone.

At the end of the dot.com boom, here in SOMA, some landlords stopped getting rent checks. They called, no answer. They knocked on the door, nobody there. It was all gone... employees, management, board of directors... everybody had walked away. Often they left the furniture. After a while, Goodwill started refusing office furniture, and foosball tables were almost free.

John

You don't let them remove their stuff, and then seize it. Then sell it to the next guy. The cycle of small restaurants.

The nice thing about being an unemployed deadbeat is that you have plenty of time to study up on tennant protection laws, time your overworked landlord does not have. Like not being able to turf out a non-payer during what we call "winter".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In the US, the Golf was (re)renamed Rabbit in 2006, I think. It now has the 5-cylinder, 2.5 l Audi engine standard. It's fun to drive, especially on the highway... it has plenty of power and feels "German." I'd love to see how fast it will go flat out; it RPM limits at 6000, and that should be, in 5th gear, about... calculates furiously... 160 MPH!

The options you mention are each about $1000 here. The base car is around $14K or so, but most dealers add junk to push the price up.

John

And occasionally you'll have to deal with a huge contamination issue because they may have cut some corners when the money for proper materials handling wasn't there anymore. I've heard only a few stories like that but they were pretty gross.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Doesn't always work because that stuff is owned by a bank or some other lender.

Out here there is a strategy of becoming pregnant at a convenient time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Don't do that in a Rabbit. Even the Audi 4000 or whatever it's called now became too iffy for me past $110mph whereas the 5000 would hug the autobahn as if on wheels.

The trick here is to either wait for a sale, model-year end or haggle like mad. Drove the dealers crazy both times we bought a car. The last one truly forgot to mention that the car had a stunning stereo in there. Hopped in, drove it home, assuming a cheesy "factory radio", pressed the button ... Woohoo!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have roof racks, too. Great for hauling stuff, but it probably costs me 10-20 MPH on the top end.

John

That also costs you in gas mileage. But probably not so much at city speeds. Or in your neck of the woods at the usual 5-10mph freeway speed on 880 ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

880 is to be avoided at nearly any cost. If people are dumb enough to fly into Oakland, let'em take Bart.

Recently I made it from Truckee to SF in 2:58 door-to-door. Got lucky... 80-90 MPH most of the way. The opposite extreme can be with snow over the summit, where 14 hours isn't unheard of. Even in the extreme rain we managed under 4.5 hours yesterday, and that included lunch at Mary Belle's.

Incidentally, we'd be a lot better off without Sacramento, in many respects.

John

Exactly what I do when I visited clients near Berkeley. It helps to walk with your hand in your pocket like you're armed ;-) Nasty-assed place :-(

The world would be better off without California ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Today will forever go down in history as the second Black Tuesday.

50%.

Around here, it was mostly software. We looked through a few ex-dot.com places while we were shopping around. One had been a meat processing plant. The new kids had gutted it and filled it with custom walnut paneling and glass conference rooms, luxurious offices, and a huge coffee bar with barista counter on every floor. Expensive but tasteless, mostly. Amazing wiring and telcom equipment cabinets everywhere. I forget what they were trying to do.

John

Peoples' Republic. Bastion of California Liberalism. Dangerous place to walk or drive; if a Volvo doesn't mow you down in a crosswalk, a mugger will gecha.

John

you

What do the muggers drive?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Joerg" skrev i meddelelsen news:AI%Pk.4014$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...

Heh - We have about Nine different social democratic parties to choose from! Where is Marinus van der Lubbe when you need him ;-)

Reply to
Frithiof Jensen