What they won't tell you...

Yeah this is the standard dogma from nutritionists, it's all about energy balance. Calories in and out.

Turns out the simple sugars cause a biochemical response. That in simple terms, causes the body to store more sugar as fat. So it's complicated, and people aren't really asking the right questions.

Taubes has a bunch of case studies of populations suddenly getting a western diet (he singles out sugar, but it could be other stuff too.) and then 10-20 years later there is an explosion of obesity and type II diabetes. Standard dogma is obesity is the cause. He (Taubes) suggests obesity is the effect, the result of excess sugar consumption.

He makes a fairly convincing case, and given how screwed up our diet is....

We took out a lot of fat and replaced it with sugar. Obesity and diabetes continue to increase.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I'm lucky to not be a nutritionist.

Europeans evolved in a diet rich in meat, dairy stuff, alcohol, carbs, sweet things like fruits and honey. Some people evolved in a world of scarcity. Sure, they bloat up when fed unlimited amounts of junk food and sodas, and stop running to catch their dinner.

Pacific islanders and native americans seem to be especially badly affected by a western diet.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I wonder what he'll look like in 20 years.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

:

ne therapy

error

e right.

ven

before

ell

me

ing

hat

inst

tly obesity and diabetes, but also hyper-tension and in the last chapter he

but the

rgy

ns.

ts

s....

Was going to say, a quintuple bypass in the making. But that's when he was younger and preparing for the strongman contests. For the past 10 years he' s been in MMA and probably not on that diet anymore. The stronmen peak at a bout 28yo and move on to other things.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Those things weren't anticipated only 20 years before their invention, but do you really think such complete control over biological mechanisms will come sooner than cheap high-resolution MRI's or something like that?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

therapy

ror

right.

fore

st

y obesity and diabetes, but also hyper-tension and in the last chapter he

ut the

.

The "European" diet differs from everybody else's in the dairy stuff, which is why lactose intolerance is rare in adults of European descent

" The ability to digest lactose into adulthood evolved in several human pop ulations independently probably as an adaptation to domestication of dairy animals 10,000 years ago".

We evolved from fruit-eating apes, who get most of their calories from carb ohydrates. Agriculture meant that we started getting more of our carbohydra te calories from starch in grains, which takes longer to digest and does no t trigger the biochemical response you get from a lot of easily soluble sug ar.

Probably because they get exposed to the American version of the western di et, which contains a great deal of sugar, mostly as fructose from corn syru p, which seems to end up in pretty much all processed food - even the notio nally tomato-based pasta sauce you put on your pasta.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

By similar means to the tobacco industry's long-running (now obsolete of course) program of pretending to try to investigate any link between smoking and cancer (while all those Marlboro cowboys were contemporaneously dying of same).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And my, weren't they successful at keeping that secret! For those that would struggle with critical thinking tests, denial != secrecy.

But won't /anyone/ come to Cursitor Doom's help? Perhaps if he pointed to some Putin media report such as something on Russia Today? After all, nobody in their right mind would think that RT might absolutely reliable. (Would they?)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I heard that US Ambassadors are very reliable. Take, for example, Pete Hoekstra who has been appointed US Ambassador to the Netherlands. He is lying even more than Trump!

Reply to
Rob

Translateded: Tells the truth that you don't want to hear.

Reply to
krw

No, check the fragment from a TV interview shown everywhere on internet.

He first said (in 2015) that in the Netherlands, there are no-go areas and that cars and politcians are set on fire. Repeated that. Now, you can argue the first 2 claims depend on your point of view (there are, just like in the USA, neighborhoods where you may not want to go when you prefer not to do so for your own safety, and cars are sometimes set on fire there and in other places, but it is not a general problem in the Netherlands). But the 3rd one is just hogwash. Never happened.

The reporter confronted him with that and he lied that he did not say that and that he would call it fake news.

The recorded fragment with him saying that was then shown, and he was asked again if it was fake news. He then said he did not call it fake news and did mention the words fake news today. But he did just before.

He lied two times that day, and at least one time in the 2015 claim.

Reply to
Rob

Like I said, things you don't want to hear.

Things you don't want to hear.

Reply to
krw

te of

on

Misleading claims about the Netherlands from the US ambassador to the Nethe rlands? The US has been known to hand out ambassadorships to people who hav e donated generously to a politicians campaign, but the ambassador has a re al job to, as does the US president, and giving that job to somebody who do esn't know enough to do it right isn't a great idea.

AS Ben Franklin said, the job of a diplomat is to lie abroad for his countr y, and spreading lies that make the US less popular in the ambassador's cou ntry isn't doing doing anything to help the US.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It is not at all about "things I don't want to hear". It is about him denying that he said things of which a recording is on standby, calling them fake news, and then after the recording has run him denying that he had called it fake news.

Reply to
Rob

I'm back... after 6 days in hospital... septic shock.

Kill immune system with chemo and that's the abrupt result :-] ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Well, the main thing is you get to enjoy at least one more Christmas with your family, Jim (and I hope you enjoy many more besides).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's awful. Septic shock (catastrophic systemic infection) is one of the worst things that can happen to any creature, big or small.

My brother went from "weird pains in the legs" to "light-headed" to "not expected to live" in about twelve hours, then spent sixty-odd days in the ICU on a ventilator, on the edge (a couple weeks in coma), before recovering.

They don't seem to warn chemo patients enough about this.

A common route is through the lungs; keeping active (as in "not laying down all the time) and using an incentive spirometer to clear your lungs a zillion times a day are incredibly useful preventions. People who lay down can get fluid in their lungs within hours, which is then fodder for bacteria.

Glad you're back.

Merry Christmas! James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I was wondering what happend to you. Good thing your recovering. I believe it's 3 months before the immune system returns, so thats 3 months of touch and go. Merry Christmas Jim, have an healthy and happy one.

Martin Riddle

Ouch! Glad you're back. Is your immune system permanently compromised? I'm going into the hospital in two weeks, for an ablation, again. The third time might be the charm but the doc's not all that hopeful. It seemed like the lesser of the alternatives, at the time. Hopefully not even overnight this time (50:50).

Reply to
krw