What's up with Xilinx

Xilinx stock rose 3% yesterday. Anyone have any idea why?

Wanderer

Insider trading?

Oh wait.....

JPMorgan (NYSE:JPM - Analyst Report) hiked its view on semiconductor company Xilinx Inc (NASDAQ:XLNX - Analyst Report) from cautious to constructive

I wish I could find their rating table. Never heard of 'constructive'

Martin Riddle

I read somewhere in the technical press, a slashdot sort of site, that some Apple consumer product has an FPGA inside. Maybe that started an FPGA investor rush.

We're cutting over to Altera. The Xilinx software is a nightmare.

John

Same feeling here. This last weeks I have been working on a Xilinx board and I can certify that the ISE is a buggy and utterly slow nightmare. While having its own subtleties, Altera's Quartus II is much easier (and an order of magnitude faster) to work with.

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

Wanderer wrote: : Xilinx stock rose 3% yesterday. Anyone have any idea why?

Introduction of their 7th generation silicon?

The Zynq-7000 family with the embedded hard ARM looks nice.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

One of my guys was doing some tricky stuff with a 1 GHz SERDES on an Arria II GX (which is $450 worth of FPGA) and I asked him to change the pattern. He typed for a couple of seconds and the output changed. He had recompiled it and JTAGd it, in a few seconds!

It will take Xilinx years to unsnarl their tools... if ever.

John

Ya, I think it is the new Zynq stuff. I wish I could find a mutual fund that into that new ARM consortium, Freescale, TI, Xilinx, ST, Marvell etc. I'm not wealthy enough to amass individual stocks.

Reply to
Wanderer

I decided to go back to Altera. The requirements changed so the little widget would no longer fit in the smallest Coolrunner. The larger chip was, well, larger. I asked our manufacturing guys if they could do a .5mm BGA and they told me to go for it. I only need the I/Os around the outside of the package, so don't even need micro-vias. I was starting to remember why I didn't like ISE.

Reply to
krw

Is the "free" or low-cost Altera software usable, or is it big bucks for the software?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Rob was showing me the Altera "CPLD", which sure looks like a small FPGA with a flash for configuration, possibly a 2-chip-inside thing. Definitely not a sum-of-products architecture.

John

The free stuff is perfectly usable, for the devices it covers. Big bux is for big bux parts. A paid-for simulator (ModelSim) may be a good investment if you have any serious work to do. The freebies are limited to something like

10K lines of VHDL and they're slow.
Reply to
krw

Nope. One chip.

The only difference I can see between what Altera calls a "CPLD" and an "FPGA" are registers in the IOBs. The CPLD parts (e.g. MAX-II and MAX-V) have no registered I/Os. I think it's rather silly to leave them out, but I'm not in the marketing department. The MAX parts don't have differential I/Os either, likely a result of not having registered I/Os. Yes, the Xilinx Coolrunner does have a SoP architecture. I *much* prefer the finer grained architecture of an FPGA.

Reply to
krw