What plastic is the Nikon Coolpix camera body made up of (why did glue melt it?)

Oh. This is a GREAT POINT! Sinced the crazy glue "outgassed" so much, it fogged the interior of the battery compartment somehow. I guess we should tell the NEXT person who does this infamous Nikon coolpix camera repair that they should take care to cover the lens at all times.

THANK you for the hint which we hadn't thought of until now!

Reply to
Jeanette Guire

Had the same problem with a Kodak **215 and got the same attitude from them, used it for another two years with a heavy elastic holding the batteries in place before I gave it to second son who is still using it two years later. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Uh Oh! I checked. Yes my Coolpix has the half-assed battery latch. But I'm ready now thanks to the paper clip suggestion. Yes that is the answer. I figure epoxy or Testors model glue would work fine. Just a tiny drop to hold the clip. By the way, I'd never use 5 minute epoxy unless gluing speed was essential for some reason. Regular 20 minute epoxy is much stronger, sets more reliably and doesn't have the dire chemicals in it.

Heh. A really nice Coolpix photo with icky duct tape and smeared with duct tape ooze ought to be the Internet answer to customer service that doesn't think the broken latch thing is any concern.

Reply to
Benj

I was wondering about that. I had the choice of either 30-minute Locktite epoxy or 5-minute "quick set" Locktite epoxy at Target.

I read both packages.

Nothing on the package said they were any different other than one was five minutes and the other was 20. Even the price was the same.

So, all things being equal, I took the five. I guess I should have bought the thirty. Why don't they just say it's stronger on the package?

At least the NEXT person with this fix has this suggestion!

Reply to
Jeanette Guire

Why is it their fault? They test a camera, and move on to the next model. They probably only have any one camera for more than a few days. Email them and make them aware of the problem, then ask they add a warning to their review.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida