What no 27nF ??

I cannot seem to find a leaded 27nF film capacitor from any of the regular distributors. Seems like only the E6 series is on offer unless you go SMT.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Seems there are plenty:

And oodles more. Hint: In the US they are called 0.027uF :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I vaguely remember that you might be in the UK so this may be more convenient:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks for that. I searched Farnell for 27nF and I get no results, yet I just tried 0.027uF and up they pop - you would think Farnell would know better.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

And what is even weirder is you get no results for 2.7nF or2700pF either but ask for 0.0027uF and up they come!!

Strange.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Their search engine is the pits, IMHO. Way that works at Farnell (on a good day):

Enter "film", click capacitors, then film (again ...), check the 27nF box and then "show results". Sometimes you have to enter stuff a bit "backwards" to obtain a useful number of hits, meaning not zero and also not thousands. It sure ain't Digikey ...

What I really don't like is their habit to show lots of products with no stock and the remark "no longer stocked". What's the point in doing that? Make the selection look bigger on paper?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm, when I enter "2.7nF" and "film" I get 16 hits, three of the leaded parts.

What's really strange is that the 1% part from FSC costs less than the same part in 2.5%.

If you need to order a lot of caps, sometimes this stuff is less expensive in the former colony :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Interesting. I think I must have put 2n7. When I try 2.7nF I get 11 hits, three of them leaded.

Yes, I had noticed that too. As these caps are for a passive audio EQ I was quite pleased at how cheap the 1% types were.

Cheers

Ian

LOL

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ian Bell schrieb:

Hello,

a well done search engine would accept 1000000 µF, 1000 mF, 1 F and even 0.001 kF. ;-) Have you tried 27000 pF too?

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Joerg schrieb:

Hello,

they had them before and when they tried to delete them within the database, they got a database anomaly error warning.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Maybe they need a new IT guy then? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes I tried 27000pF, 27nF and 0.027uF and get different results for each.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ian Bell schrieb:

Hello,

it looks like they simply use a text field for the capacity value in the database instead of using a numerical valuea nd the unit F. Some capacitors own the attribute 27000pF, others 27nF and some 0.027uF. But using a numerical value of the capacity would require an input parser capable of processing 27000pF, 27nF and 0.027uF, of course also F, mF and for completeness also kF. May be in the future MF and GF is necessary too. ;-)

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

It's not like parsing or printing numbers with multiplier prefixes is hard or anything! In my opinion, compilers, calculators, spreadsheets, databases, anything that pretends to be able to read or write numbers should be able to do it.

But almost none do.

Spice makes an attempt, but gets 'M' wrong by a factor of 10^9. Gnuplot does it too, with mixed success and poor convenience. I have my own conversion functions, which I use everywhere. I know of no others. Pathetic.

Anyone wants to lobby to get this introduced into libc and excel?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

What, proper metric SI handling in US based software? Shirley you jest!

:o)

I'd like a calculator with eng units and proper rounding, like the old HPs had, but then I haven't bought an HP calc for a long time, the last one I had, I wore out the power switch -- non-repairable as it was direct to PCB copper and had worn it away over time.

As to the M in spice, I think it started way back before case sensitivity became the norm for proper OSs. So one has to RTFM to find M is a 'meg' instead -- I've got far worse issues using LTSpice effectively than that. Not a spice user, so LTSpice is my first experience of it, I can do simple stuff so far, but still prefer pencil, paper and calculator for design work. It was good for playing with a snubber circuit recently, but I to guess parameters for a motor's inductance based on observation with a Tek DPO, certainly was a lot faster than rat's nesting and observation for that situation.

The two local companies I buy from, Farnell and RS Components, their web sites show a lack of electronic knowledge by the database people. Farnell mostly get value ordering correct, but unfortunately their data entry people frequently mix up micro and milli -- most obvious when looking for small power inductors. One knows a 12MH can't be, but then it seems random whether it's a uH or mH, need to view details to check.

RS don't bother getting values in order, it's confusing looking through alpha sorted values, especially recently when what I was after were milliohm resistors mixed up with the two and three digit k and M values.

Caps I have less problems with, not noticed a problem finding particular values. Can remember learning nF decades ago, there was still a lot of mF and mmF for uF and pF about when I was a teenager, so retraining the eyes to interpret nF and more recently mF was difficult enough to be aware of.

I still like dismantling stuff, saw an odd low value resistor last night, black brown read silver gold, one could see the turn and a half of resistance wire under the paint, so 12 milliohm 5% is my guess. Didn't measure it as I haven't put together a four wire low R tester yet.

Grant.

--
http://bugs.id.au/
Reply to

The HP35s is decent. Nothing like the 45 or 11C, but worth the money.

I always use DigiKey's part search when browsing for parts, but rarely buy anything from them (they're about 40% too expensive), They get around the problem with pulldown lists. They don't use nF or mF, either.

Reply to
krw

unless

0v-radial/dp/4616790

=20

Not at all. It is debatable whether Newark ingested Farnell or the other way around. The two systems are still not completely merged.

Reply to
JosephKK