What is this?

besides being a mystery auction item?

Looks vaguely flukeish.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Way too many buttons. It looks like a TI calculator from some university's undergraduate lab where they had to bolt it to the bench to keep if from being stolen.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My first vote is a label maker, something like a Brother P-Touch. The "typewriter" shape is more popular but they do make some in the handheld/fat-remote-control shape. Big keypad, LCD on top, printed label tape emerges from the black panel on the left.

My second vote is along the lines of what Phil Hobbs said. It's a (TI?) scientific calculator stuck into some kind of shroud or backpack that provides additional functions: a printer, bigger batteries, interface to some kind of test or analytical equipment, something like that.

What do we win if we guess right? :)

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I believe that is a Brady ID Pro label maker, though I can't find an exact image of it on the web. Maybe it's a different product line name? The one s I see online use roll-feed blank label stock.

The one in your photo is circa-1998 and had continuous roll stock that was in the shape of a rectangular cartridge that you would attach to the rear o f the unit. The printed label would exit to the rear side of the unit and had an integrated manual cutter. Several label stocks were available, incl uding tamper proof labels, industrial sleeves for wire harnesses, high temp erature & weatherproof outdoor labels, etc... Very nice machine. The comp any I used to work for had one of these in the shop.

If it's not Brady, it's one of the other big industrial label maker manufac turers - maybe Zebra.? But I pretty sure it's Brady.

Reply to
mpm

Update: Try KROY. Possibly the model K5100.

Link:

mpm

A free copy of my latest paper...

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Given the context of available tools and technology, the engineering on these makes the LBT look like a tinkertoy set.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Without more and better pictures, it could be a network cable verifier.

??-)

Reply to
josephkk

It has a full keyboard. Likely a barcode or RFID inventory scanning recorder/logger.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno