What is the jelly bean DAC du jour?

Did you look at the AD1555 ? It produces a digital bitstream, which you could feed into your own FPGA based filter.

Reply to
Arlet

Thanks. It looks like a nice chip, but at $81 each, my 12 channels would be about $950 over budget. I'm guessing it's an older design.

Regards, Tony Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)

Reply to
Tony

What the world needs is an 8 bit version of the TDA8444 (I2C in, 8 x 6 bit analog out, costs next to nothing) M

Reply to
Piglit

It's around $2 a pop, not exactly "nothing" for an octal 6-bitter. Here is an octal 8-bit DAC for less (around $1.50):

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Almost got interested in that one (I use the 8444 in all sorts of things and wouldn't mind the extra resolution) but the Rohm part seems to be unobtanium (in findchips). Where can these beasties be found in non-enormous quantities for a buck and a half ? cheers M

Reply to
Piglit

Don't know about non-enormous quantities but Digikey has 7500 of them in stock. $1.45/2500. Usually my clients go through that qty in a jiffy.