what is the best SBC?

Everybody knows the Raspbery PI, but there are a lot of other SBC available.
Which are the best for use and which are the best balance efficiency /
price?
I use them for smal automation in relation with microctl (Atmel )
Many thanks in advance
Sorry for my english
--

Re: what is the best SBC?

le.

what is SBC?
and the answer is: it depends on what you have to do :)

Bye Jack

Re: what is the best SBC?

Single-Board Computer

Re: what is the best SBC?

:

tto:

ah, thanks.

Bye Jack

Re: what is the best SBC?

Now you know Jack!  ;)

Re: what is the best SBC?

well yes.
but someone could argue that also a PC is a SBC :D

Bye Jack

Re: what is the best SBC?

If the RAM isn't soldered on the board, it isn't an SBC.  Also consider =
a  =

PC from the 90s, which doesn't function without a separate graphics card=
  =

and a CPU which can be considered a 'board' by itself.

-- =

(Remove the obvious prefix to reply privately.)
Gemaakt met Opera's e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: what is the best SBC?

 scritto:

:

Speaking about pc 25 years old is not really useful in this case or we can
just put also Commodores, Amigas, Ataris in the basket (they all had solder
ed ram and integrated gpu).

In any case Apple laptops built in the last let say 5 years have soldered C
PU AND ram so under your definition are SBCs...
Also the new Microsoft Surface Pro seems to have soldered ram...

so maybe a different definition is necessary.

Bye Jack

Re: what is the best SBC?

The PC/apple/tablet things are not SBC-s not because they are not
single board, many of them are that nowadays.

But they are not computers - a computer you can program including its
coming out of reset, how to initialize its peripherals etc.
These are computerized TV-sets or whatever name one chooses
for todays entertainment/office hardware.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff, TGI             http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/

Re: what is the best SBC?

Well, as to that, you *could* program one of today's computers,
re-flash the BIOS and do whatever you want.  You could do something
similar with what's usually referred to as an SBC, but many of them are
come pre-programmed with some operating system and what programming you
do is on a higher level.

--
Best wishes,
--Phil

Would you have all the datasheets needed to be able to do that?

Dimiter

Re: what is the best SBC?

Intel processors datasheet are freely available:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7-900-ee-and-d
esktop-processor-series-datasheet-vol-1.html

happy reading ;)

Bye Jack

Re: what is the best SBC?

I know their processors' documentation is public.
How is it with the peripheral chips, e.g. display
controllers - theirs and from other vendors.

  How is it with the wifi chips you find on this "SBC", are
they documented.

Dimiter

Re: what is the best SBC?

ash
th
 is
nd-desktop-processor-series-datasheet-vol-1.html

You mean like the SoC of the RPi? (or at least the GPU part).

Bye Jack

Re: what is the best SBC?

It really depends what you want to do, but arguably they're just fine as
computers.  They run code that you load on to them.  You might not replace
the operating system, but then there are lots of embedded systems that run
Windows and nobody tinkers with the bootloader.  They have their niche, just
like any system.

For instance they're really good at graphics and UI - much better than
anything you could cook up by writing bare metal code.  Where once a piece
of equipment would have an 8-bit microcontroller, a two line LCD and three
buttons you press in bewildering combinations, or later Windows XP with
keyboard and mouse, now it can have a touch panel and run Android or Windows
10.

Notwithstanding that you can compile your Android kernel and OS from source
if you really want to, an app can implement your application on top of the
facilities provided by the base OS.  If you need special hardware you can
add that and write the necessary drivers.

However I'd say one distinction is about supply chain.  These are /consumer/
products - here today, gone tomorrow.  Likely Android will be around for
years in some form (like Windows CE is still), but basing your product on
the hottest tablet of 2017 is pretty risky because it likely won't last more
than a year.  Similarly, as consumer products they aren't really set up for
the rough and tumble of industrial life, nor are they designed for
integrating into larger systems.  So they are 'computers', but they aren't
/industrial/ computers,

Theo

Re: what is the best SBC?

Then don't base the *product* on the tablet; rather, base the product on
an abstraction that the tablet can reify.

E.g., I exploit lots of consumer kit (think:  dirt cheap, almost disposable)
for UI's.  As long as I can port my "UI services" to <whatever>, I don't
care exactly *what* that <whatever> happens to be.

[Of course, I go to great pains to decouple the implementation from the
supporting hardware/software/OS]

E.g., I use a variety of PDA's (in lieu of smart phones) as little
"wireless graphic terminals".  They run different (native) OS's but
each run the same look-and-feel "application" (that implements the GUI).

This week, port the GUI to a rescued Nook Color.  Different manufacturer,
size, shape, battery life, etc.  But, same "application" (which, obviously,
knows how to adapt to different screen sizes and aspect ratios).

*Next* week, it may be a Toshiba tablet, etc.

You'd be amazed at how many industrial processes are controlled by
consumer kit!  <frown>  Typically, a developer got the "Great Idea"
that he could leverage all this UI stuff by repurposing some COTS
product.  *But*, then followed this with the Bad Idea of developing
the product *on* that device -- inheriting all of its limitations
(instead of just cherry-picking the good bits).

Sort of like the "let's use a COTS SBC -- but, STILL have to design and
layout our own custom 'daughter card' cuz the SBC doesn't have just the
right mix of I/O's".  (Then, being stuck with that particular SBC because
you didn't make a deliberate effort to decouple the design from the
base hardware/software)

Re: what is the best SBC?
On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 11:24:09 +0100, "Boudewijn Dijkstra"

Any laptop should qualify.

In the old days SBCs had RS232 or 20 mA connections for connecting
"dumb" (VT100) serial terminals.
These days Raspberry etc. uses Ethernet for exactly the same purpose
(Telnet) without having keyboards or displays of their own.

In the 1970s boards like Intel SDK-85 contained in addition to the CPU
functionality also some hex keyboard input as well as hex displays and
additionally some wire wrap areas on the board. Thus capable of true
stand lone capability.

Since when is a "Graphical" card a requirement for  PC ? At a minimum
24 lines with 32/40/64/80 characters on a line was considered
adequate.

Re: what is the best SBC?

Today it's not needed at all.  Most of the PCs that I use now are
headless servers sitting in remote data centers.

Re: what is the best SBC?

What criteria do you use in your definition of "efficiency"?

Re: what is the best SBC?

Fonctionality / ease of use / connectivity / operating system ( web
server ssh .. ) communication (RS232 485, I2C, SPI ..) ease and tools
for programming ease of integrating them into a box with other devices .....