What is Clamping Voltage ?

I am new to electronics and want to know what Clamping Voltage means (for ESD Suppressor). The term is found in this file.

Thanks.

Reply to
quanghoc

It's the voltage a suppressor clamps to.

If you don't know what that is, you're going to have trouble using one !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Reply to
quanghoc

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

A clamping circuit or device comes into action when the applied voltage reaches a certain level. At that point, it will draw as much current as it possibly can, in order to lower the voltage. As soon as the voltage drops again below the treshold, the clamping device stops drawing current.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

So how is it differ from Trigger Voltage and Rated Voltage?

Frank Bemelman wrote:

Reply to
quanghoc

--
In order to maintain the voltage at the threshold level, no?
Reply to

--
You need to take this to sci.electronics.basic and learn how to
bottom post.

I cannot post in sci.electronics.basic

John Fields wrote:

Reply to
quanghoc

Well...........

You need to consider several things. There are two main kinds of transient suppressors - semiconductor and metal oxide.

The metal oxide type falls into the category of varistors. They conduct in either direction so are commonly used on A.C. supplies.

TVSs are like big zener diodes designed to absorb high pulse energy. Since they're like zener diodes they are naturally 'unidirectional' by nature and commonly used on D.C. supplies, although you can get back-to-back ones for use on A.C.

In either case the leakage current is the current passed when the device is below its active ( clamping ) region.

The 'rated' voltage is the voltage of supply it's intended to be used on. The 'trigger voltage' is the voltage at which it starts to conduct significantly ( like the knee of a zener diode's charactersitic and the clamping voltage is the voltage across the device at a specified large current.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Google doesn't have it ?

Yes it does.

I think even Google groups may be able to cross-post too. You need to look at the instructions !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"John Fields" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

That is what we hope and pray for.

I figured there was a risk in trying to explain it. My explanation suggests there is a hysteresis which is not the case.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Until you can quit top posting, you ought to just f*ck off.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

You first need to learn how to operate the google web search facility.

Instead of going to google groups, go to the "search the web" side, i.e.,

and search on all of these things you're asking about. You'll get more information in a millisecond than you could get all day asking news groups, especially on such a basic question.

And if you _do_ insist on asking beginner quesitons of news groups, then please use news:sci.electronics.basics .

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you can post here, you can post to sci.electronics.basics.

Oh, yeah - be sure and include the 's' in 'basics'.

If you do not understand how to do that, then read google groups' help pages.

And learn how to use the search side of google - it has all of the answers you need, already prepared in a nice tutorial form - well, more accurately, it will link you to thousands of pages that have your search phrase.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

.basics , not .basic .

And I concur - when all else fails, read the instructions. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Wikipedia's good too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks for all of your helps.

I did try Google and Wiki but the result was disappointed. I dont know anything about electronic components so I cannot make connect among terms. Wiki has Voltage Clamping but not Clamping Voltage. I dont even know what is the difference.

But your posts are very helpful. Thanks aga> Rich Grise wrote:

Reply to
quanghoc

Please bottom-post.

Voltage Clamping is the act of clamping the voltage to some level. Clamping Voltage is the voltage that the signal gets clamped to.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Asshole.If "top posting" is rude, then you are being about ten times as rude.

rt4562