Low noise signal clamping

I need to clamp the input of a 24 bit ADC to prevent any transients from da maging it. I suspect diodes are going to be too noisy, and am looking at us ing discrete transistors with their bases tied to the rails though a low va lue resistor. Is this viable? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

That's the best I've been able to come up with (you don't need to tie the bases to the rails- a different voltage might be preferable). If you can't tolerate enough series resistance to make this sufficient, consider the series depletion FETs that JL discussed here some time ago.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

damaging it. I suspect diodes are going to be too noisy, and am looking at using discrete transistors with their bases tied to the rails though a low value resistor. Is this viable? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks. I'm a long time out of designing with discrete transistors - have you any s uggestions for a low noise part in SOT23 package?

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Depends on how far past the rails you can go, ie how sharp the clamp needs to be. And how realistic the 24 bit requirement is.

Clamp diodes imply a series resistance or other current limit. And a resistor will make noise.

The easiest thing to do is control the supply voltage of the opamp that drives the ADC.

Last week, we got a box back from a big customer with an apparently failed ADS7806 ADC. Our test lady recalled seeing that once or twice before, so alarms went off.

The ADC is powered from +5 and ground. The upstream opamp is powered from +8 and -8. It's RRO and there 100 ohms between. It usually works, but very rarely, with pathological thermocouple inputs, we can push enough current into the ADC to latch it up. It's nondestructive, so we fixed the unit in question with schottky diodes to +5 and ground. That's an ECO now.

Double bummer for the week, I did a photodetector with gain switching, with two opamps driving an FSA3157 mux. Turns out that one deselected mux input can go a bit negative and blow through the mux into the active channel; it only takes a few tenths of a volt, so a diode isn't the fix. So I added a 2N7002 to clamp the deselected input, in the "wrong" direction. Got lucky: I have the required gate drive signal available by accident, and the via arrangement let me add the mosfet with a single kluge wire.

Two ECOs in one week is bad, but not a personal best.

But, back on topic, one interesting clamp uses comparators and some sort of switches, to open or short or mux out the signal path if an input goes out of range. That's very sharp and potentially non-intrusive.

Why should diodes be noisy here? While the ADC input is within operating range they aren't conducting.

I am assuming you want to protect the ADC input against the ESD spike from hell or something like that. This is how it's done:

a. Resistor from input signal to diodes. 1k or so, depends on how much you can tolerate. More is better but make that a longer body resistor to reduce the chance that a spark jumps across. That limits the spike current in general.

b. Diodes to the positive and negative rail of the ADC. You can use SOT23 duals (series) or even SC75 if space is tight.

c. Resistor 200 ohms from there to the ADC input.

This results in the lion's share of the ESD pulse going through the external diodes instead of the parasitic substrate diodes in the ADC. Even if the "pulse from hell" drives the diode 2V beyond a rail the current going through the ADC substrate would remian under 10mA.

Of course, you can also generate helper voltages lower than the rails and leave out that 200 ohms resistor but that is more effort.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

By low noise, I presume they can't tolerate a lot of series resistance.

If you look at ESD testing, there is human body model and machine model. Machine model is for assembly, and human body model is real life. (Of course plugging a sensor into an instrument can look a lot more like a machine model than a human model.) If you look at the human body model circuit, just adding capacitance can greatly reduce the ESD spike.

It isn't clear to me why a transistor will be any quieter than a discrete diode, other than there is less capacitive coupling. But if this low noise circuitry, I have to presume the impedances involved are small as well, so the cap can't couple in that much noise, given a voltage divider with the cap at omega*C.

The chips generally have nfet ESD protection, i.e. body diode in the negative direction and snap back in the positive direction. Maybe a small nfet with low breakdown voltage on the input will do the trick. But this isn't all that different from using a transorb diode.

Inducing latchup is another story. Seems to me series resistance and diodes to the rails is the only solution. But I never saw the depletion mode fet circuit. If that circuit goes high-Z in both directions, that would reduce latchup.

Reply to
miso

Yeah, that's why I mentioned a 1k. Normally I'd go higher. If this is a concern Dirk could look at inductors instead. A 24-bit ADC will most likely opeate If you look at ESD testing, there is human body model and machine model.

If the transients are human-body model it can be ok. Sometimes they aren't. For example, a client of mine had outdoor electronics die during thunderstorms, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Transzorbs have huge tolenrances so one would have to looks at abs max and meybe discuss if with the ic designers are the mfg. If one is granted access to them, that is. That might require lots of cajoling and kowtowing.

That almost requires a comparator but can be done. I'd do it with enhancement mode FETs though, to make sure that it is off even when unpowered.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That may interest you.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I've just used general purpose parts like MMBT4401/3. If your clamping is inside a loop with a current-limited op-amp or diff-amp output, a little leakage won't matter.

This whole clamping thing is irritating. To do things right requires a whole bunch of inelegant stuff. To not do things right invites weird behavior or even failures. If the ADC makers don't or can't put it on-chip, there ought to be a circuit block like a digital voltage translator that lets you go from a +/-7V op-amp to a +/-5V ADC without worry or undue effect on the signals.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:00:29 AM UTC-8, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrot e:

damaging it. I suspect diodes are going to be too noisy, and am looking at using discrete transistors with their bases tied to the rails though a low value resistor. Is this viable? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Would something like this help?

stratus46

Heh, Fig.2 shorts +V to -V.

Yay, LaTeX formatting and equations. ;-) Although the paragraph and margin settings aren't so great.. oh well, he's only an astronomer. Wonder if the schematics were also LaTeX (there's a package for that) or what. Seem to be vector.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Yes I notice that, but most people that know better would short that. I did put that bridge in the sim and it seems to work well.

One problem with this of course is the Vbe break down. You must not exceed that..;)

Years ago I made a double balance ring modulator using a config that looks a lot like this transistor bridge!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Thanks for the replies. The problem is a +/- 2V5 ADC being driven from a +/- 15V opamp. The latter is a 4:1 voltage divider but I could still get +/- 4V approx under some wei rd unspecified conditions. AFAIK this doesn't happen in practice, but it mi ght be possible under extreme operating conditions resulting from a failure in another part of the system.

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

r is a 4:1 voltage divider but I could still get +/- 4V approx under some w eird unspecified conditions. AFAIK this doesn't happen in practice, but it might be possible under extreme operating conditions resulting from a failu re in another part of the system.

Here is what I have decided to do. Feed the signal via a 10K resistor from the 15V op amp divider to a 2V5 op amp in a resistorless voltage follower m ode and then onto the ADC. The idea being that any overvoltage will be clam ped by the inputs of the 2V5 opamp follower. Using something like a LTC1150 the additional noise and drift should be negligible.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

The LTC1050 noise performance is specified with a 100R source resistance, and even so it won't allow better than 18 bit performance with a 5V ADC span, even with a 10Hz BW.

I wonder what happens to the noise with a relatively high source resistance.. that type of amplifier typically has little charge packets coming out of the inputs at the sampling frequency.

An ideal 10K resistor has a Johnson noise of >4uV RMS at 50°C & 100kHz BW (reasonable, assuming something like a higher end audio ADC is being used). Call it ~25uV p-p. Not so much of an issue if the application is low BW.

:

tter is a 4:1 voltage divider but I could still get +/- 4V approx under som e weird unspecified conditions. AFAIK this doesn't happen in practice, but it might be possible under extreme operating conditions resulting from a fa ilure in another part of the system.

om the 15V op amp divider to a 2V5 op amp in a resistorless voltage followe r mode and then onto the ADC. The idea being that any overvoltage will be c lamped by the inputs of the 2V5 opamp follower. Using something like a LTC1

150 the additional noise and drift should be negligible.
00kHz

The ADC is a CS5532 24 bit low speed conversion chip. We read it around 6Hz IIRC and effectively oversample the crap out of the signal with hundreds o f readings per data point. For all intents and purposes, the bandwidth of i nterest is

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Then rail diodes is all you need,

jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

ADG465 and/or JFETs used as diodes?

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Designs

Vladimir Vassilevsky

If you're lucky enough to find invertible transistors, that isn't a problem.

I don't know if anyone makes high Veb transistors anymore, but I have noticed those low-saturation transistors (ZTX651, PBSS303x, etc.) have high inverted hFE at least (~hundreds).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Take a look at the top circuit on this page.

You can omit the resistor.

For small voltages, the jfet sits in triode. For a large voltage swing, the jfet with a positive vds goes into current limiting, i.e. reaches IDSS. The other device gets turned on even stronger, not that it matters due to the current limiting of the other jfet.

The idss has to be low enough not to trigger latch-up. I doubt any chip manufacturer would go lower than say 40ma. The deal here though is the higher the IDSS, the stronger the jfet, which in turn means lower resistance when in triode. So you pick the jfet IDSS to be just under, or even around 40ma. Most chips can do 100ma. Or to be exact, most people quit testing latch-up at 100ma injection. Ever since epi cmos became the standard in processing, you don't hear all that much about latch-up.

Most jfets are symmetrical physically, so the source and drain are interchangeable. That is, the true source and drain are determined by applied voltages rather than what it says on the pins.

Reply to
miso