clamping circuit help

Been using a little square wave generator for experiments, has input values from 3-29 VDC. However, at 24 VDC input, it burned out. I have a replacement on the way, but vender suggested using a clamping circuit to limit voltage to 25 VDC if my power supply is prone to spikes and I suspect it is. Can someone suggest a suitable circuit with component values needed? Thank you.

Reply to
Hem Jung

24V Zener diode to system ground? The shipping will cost more than the device! I am not sure if you mean an actual 'clamping circuit' as much as a voltage limiter. There is no AC that you are trying to limit, just the DC input maximum voltage.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Well, it's a cheap, Chinese 24 VDC switching supply so just trying to avoid spiking at start-up. Is it as simple as a 24 V zener across the input (+ to -)? If so, I have a few of those here.

Reply to
Hem Jung

Just that simple, yes. Not sure how much current goes into this device, but you want the diode to be rated at least 2x that current so it does not fail under load.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.