What happens if the economy opens up and the death toll does not spike? (2023 Update)

Lets remember that science told us that we will have 2 million deaths because of this virus.

Science has also told us that under no circumstance did this virus originate in a lab.

Science has told us that Hydrochloro-whatever does not work.

Science has told us that masks do not work and then told us they are neccessary

Science has told us that we are going to run put of ventilators.

Science tells us that no matter what the economic cost we must lock society down until there is a vaccine.

Science has told us so much about this virus. I think those on the left are really really hoping that the death rate spikes up very quickly to make sure that all us idiots keep listening to science.

Reply to
blocher

What happens in your mind is pretty easy to predict, if it doesn't go up Trump gets the credit, and if it does the left gets the blame.

Did you know that highly predictable people also tend to be gullible and easy to manipulate? sort of a science-fact.

Reply to
bitrex

There will probably be some bump, as really isolated people emerge from hiding and are exposed for the first time. Lockdowns help the virus stick around.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Probably false, but depends on what "we" means.

False; science tells us that the evidence does not suggest lab tampering. Misquote-and-disparage is the familiar 'straw man' fallacy.

False. Multiple studies show little effect, but not conclusive evidence. Theoretically, there's a reason to expect effect. So, science is uncertain (but that is called 'negative result' by healthcare payment systems).

False.

Unless steps are taken (like shutdown, production increases)... and those steps were taken, in some places. Misleading. Italy, for instance, DID run out.

False. Science doesn't make 'must' statements, it estimates costs and benefits. 'must' is an imperative, as from from a policy or law institution.

Hopes aren't causing death and distress. Deal with the disease, any hopes can be handled, gently, without collective action.

Reply to
whit3rd

"When someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

Reply to
bitrex

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

BULLSHIT!

That is a number TRUMP put out to make his f*ck up look less like a MAJOR FUCKUP.

There was NEVER a chart predicting that, and the chart that predicted very low numbers IF we did "this and this and this" was ignored along with the this and this and this he should have done but never did, and to this day the retarded bastard resists and downplays the importance of testing because one of his dingleberries told him that stupid shit. And then he tweets it and the idiots in the nation believe his baby bullshit crafted defense for HIS MAJOR FUCKUP.

He points at a "2 million" number that no one EVER gave him and then points at his actual death numbers and claims he saved millions of lives.

There is not a person on earth that deserves a bullet between the eyes more than Donald John Trump does.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Well, you SURE AS FUCK are one of the idiots, and it has not a goddamned thing to do with the left or the right, you imbecilic

Common sense... The masks do NOT stop YOU from getting it as they do NOT form a perfect seal and thus you breathe NOT through the filter mask media but around it.

Common sense... The MASK DOES provide protection FROM YOU for others as it stops 99% of YOUR exhaled aeresolized spittle when YOU breathe, speak, cough, or sneeze.

So, science devoid child, wake the f*ck up and smell the idiom presented that even a five year old kid could understand.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

bitrex wrote in news:LVUwG.183619$ snipped-for-privacy@fx47.iad:

"Your appeal has been denied, like you knew it would be." - Cardinal Richeleu (actually it was 'father Guido Sarducci' on SNL)

Your "Angelou" set my memory off.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

False. SARS was defeated with lockdowns, no cases since 2004, for instance.

If your pet theory needs the protection of repeated falsehoods, science offers a solution: euthanize that pet.

Reply to
whit3rd

I have no pet theory, just a bunch of questions.

The Chinese could have sequestered C19 and killed it off, but they didn't. They let it loose on the world. Now it's everywhere. You can't lock down the entire world for N incubation periods. It's too late.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

When I was a single man and went on a date with a woman who told me early on something like "I'm kinda crazy" I didn't just chalk it up to her having a weird sense of humor I believed her.

I think it's a feminist talking point "believe women" OK I will!

Reply to
bitrex

Am 19.05.20 um 21:17 schrieb bitrex:

The only woman I believe what she says is the one in the navigation system of my car.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Women don't lie any more than men do, man. They just don't tell the truth

Reply to
bitrex

Or rather, except in incidental cases like the above. Really you might be surprised how honest women can be sometimes. Gotta think how you would read like a microsoft EULA. Contract law. You'll be good.

Reply to
bitrex

My "pet theory" is Trumpers want to infect themselves and use themselves as biological weapons, make it "everywhere" by design, and hope it kills more of their enemies than themselves

Reply to
bitrex

Could they have?

From what I see of the timeline, the first-known case ("patient zero") in China, was symptomatic on 1 December 2019. The first known hospitalization wasn't until 16 December. There were several additional hospitalizations in the weeks that followed.

The first record I see of anyone suspecting an outbreak of a novel disease wasn't until 26-27 December (Zhang Jixian), at which point a provisional quarantine area was set up for the three patients involved. There's apparently a report from May of this year, suggesting that there was a SARS-CoV-2 infected patient in France at around this time.

Three similar cases came to Hubei Provincial Hospital on 29 December.

Some information went public on 30-31 December, and WHO and the US CDC heard about it.

So... if the first-known symptomatic (and presumably contagious) individual was back on 1 December, and the first doctor to say "I think we have a new problem here" didn't see the patients in question until 26 December, that leaves a lot of time for the virus to spread throughout the community. Assuming an average generation time of 4 days, and a 4:1 spreading ratio, that suggests there could be at least

4000 people infected before SARS-CoV-2 was even identified as a new virus (and that's assuming that Patient Zero was actually the first, which is far from certain).

It looks to me as if the odds are high that before _anyone_ knew there was a new virus in play, the infection had had plenty of chance to spread well outside of Wuhan. Even one person infected person traveling from Wuhan to Bejing or any other large city could have spread it there. The fact that there has been a case reported in France, at around the time that Zhang first suspected a novel virus, tends to support this scenario.

If correct, this means that "the cat was out of the bag", and roaming the world outside of China, before any human being in the planet knew what was occurring. I've not seen any evidence that it was in the human population prior to November '19, so there may have been nothing to "look for" much prior to early December... and lots to look for shortly after that.

Yes, it's true that the local Chinese authorities in Wuhan made an ill-considered attempt to restrict public information about the virus during the first couple of days that they knew about it. That _may_ have resulted in a couple of days' delay in a good public safety-precautions lockdown in Wuhan. It was a bad move on their part.

Did it make any significant difference in what happened world-wide? At this point, I don't believe it did... because the virus was already spreading well outside of Wuhan (quite probably internationally) _before_ they tried to suppress information.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Yes, the odds are good it was already on the move in the US by November of last year or before.

HIV/AIDS was already in the US long before the early 1980s. The first probable-in-hindsight death from AIDS in the US believed to have been in the late 1960s.

This paper is from '99, I think there's later work that shows it was likely in the US by the 1950s or even 40s.

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:ehWwG.60661$ snipped-for-privacy@fx23.iad:

Believe this. I'm your Captain. You want to fix all this shit and put what's left of what was our already great nation back in place? Put me in office. I'll teach each and every one of those clowns on The Hill what their oath stands for.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Not only that, they want total economic collapse to ensue so they can offer up their own solution for the way ahead: Communism. They're just hoping everyone will forget it's the doctrine that killed over 100 million people in the 20th century alone.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Your random brain farts do sort of become highly predictable.

Reply to
blocher