Attorney generals trying to shut down usenet?

Is this a joke or serious?

If it's true, what will those guys do next? Ban all automobiles for everybody because some people were caught driving drunk? Then ban all booze? Oh wait, I guess we had that already and it didn't work ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Time Warner are a bunch of goddamned idiots.

They offer "full Internet access", so it looks like they will be in for a huge class action suit.

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

Hmm, I guess there will be problems accessing alt.binaries.schematics for me unless I go with giga news or something.

Martin Riddle

Unreal. The New York based users of alt.rhode_island are going to be pissed.

They're taking a pretty wide swath of legitimate content just to kill the alt.binaries.* groups.

Jim Thomps>Leftist weenies :-(

Don't be disingenuous. You know full well it's the Bible-thumpers on your side of the aisle that are pushing this crap.

Reply to
JeffM

Really? I didn't know NY was a bastion of bible thumpers, or that Andy Cuomo (Mario's pinko kid) was the chief thumper.

--
Keith
Reply to

krw wrote:

The "Moral Majority" is neither. It only takes a vocal minority.

Italian Catholic==Bible-thumper Gutless politician==easily manipulated

Reply to
JeffM

Nice twostep around your STUPID observation.

--
Keith
Reply to

Really? It's my impression conservative religious-types usually just control their kids, and that it's the Democrats who generally think their government should do it for them.

"Ahh, Democrats," is mostly what I think when I hear politicians promising us protection from "child predator this-and-that," and other hobgoblins[1].

Any cites?

Cheers, James Arthur ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [1] "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

-- H.L. Mencken

Reply to
James Arthur

James Arthur wrote:

Some do--but you might be thinking about 1958.

I find that *Liberals* are more about civil *liberties* (see the similarity in those words?) and about individual choices

--not imposing their religious dogmas on everyone.

I find that Bible-thumpers are busy-bodies who just HAVE to make sure that EVERYBODY'S kids are "safe"

--especially those of those Godless (untrustworthy) Liberals.

YMMV

Reply to
JeffM

They should be, I agree. I like to think of myself as liberal.

But usually "Liberal" today really means "someone else should pay."

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Nope. It's the major ISP's themselves that don't want to deal with usenet (because of lack of advertising revenue). This action is the perfect excuse to cut their losses. No bibles required.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Ban the 8051?

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

"Joerg" skrev i en meddelelse news:1fY4k.8174$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com...

The US administraition have been kissing Saudi bum for so long that the two countries are becoming more and more alike every %&¤# day!! Problem is that the EU will now jump in and draft a load of "Me-Too" legislation "to better protect / from ".

Maybe we need to raise the black flag on the smoldering ruins of the Senate / EU-comission headquarters before "they" get it. ;-)

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

"Martin Griffith" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Only if it has a SEX instruction!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Your impression is wrong. Conservative religious-types want to control everyone and force them to comply with the rules laid down by them.

List carefully to the next republican you hear. They do exactly what you are suggesting the Democrats do.

Reply to
MooseFET

No, it is the republicans that are introducing that bill and it is about the CDP1802 because they heard it had a SEX instruction.

Reply to
MooseFET

Hmmmm? The "Liberals" in this town think I shouldn't have a right to send letters-to-the-editor... they'd be happier in a "Fahrenheit 451" society, with restricted or no freedom of speech.

...Jim Thompson

As I think about the various controversial issues, ISTM that the conservative-types who are Republicans want, generally, simply to be left alone, whereas their Democratic counterparts advance schemes requiring / mandating universal participation in matters they disapprove of.

For example, the anti-evolution people just don't want evolution taught to their kids (in the schools they're compelled to attend), versus, say, the desire to hand out free condoms, clean needles and birth control to high schoolers.

The latter, though well-intended, are patronizing, intrusive and insensitive to those whose sensibilities make them repugnant. Sort of like asking a Yana indian his name (a private matter, and an indecent query of ultimate indiscretion). Different cultures.

With a few notable exceptions, it's mostly the Democrats whose vision these days seems to require dictating priorities to others, imposing restraints, codes of behavior, controlling wages, prices, retirement, etc., etc.

But conservative religious types are comparatively few, not a fair proxy for Republicans in general, whereas "Liberal" Democrats are many, easily out-voting the former.

Just a few impressions on a foggy Sunday morn...

Best regards, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Sigh... One clueless politician does some election year grand-standing. Some big ISP's see it as a way to save some dollars. However, that doesn't stop literally everyone from extrapolating conspiracy theories on the event and involving censorship, religion, big government, predatory evil corporations, party politix, predictions of doom, and the traditional demise of the internet as we know it. About all that's missing is the tie in to global warming (a.k.a. climate change). I'll give usenet participants credit for better than average imagination, but this is rediculous.

Hint: Just follow the money. Also, Occam's Razor usually works. Please use it.

Back to programming a SIP phone, where complexity and acronyms have no bounds.