What ever happened to red LED displays?

I have been looking for a digital thermometer and perhaps a timer, with red LED displays (like the old MA1026 chip) Everything is LCD these days. The only time I see somerthing with red LEDs it is a bomb on a TV show.

Reply to
gfretwell

LEDs use more power. That's probably why they're less popular..

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

There must be an entire industry in Hollywood dedicated to making fake bombs.

John

We have bunches of them on eBay under abeja .

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

** LED displays are not suitable for small, battery operated devices - the power consumption is far too high.

My first pocket calculator ( a scientific one bought in 1974 ) used a 12 digit, miniature LED display - but ran on Ni-Cds for about 5 hours at a go.

The LED display models were soon replaced by fluorescent and then LCD types.

LED panel meters are readily available, in 3.5 and 4.5 digit - the latter are not cheap.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Tue, 9 May 2006 13:40:24 +1000, "Phil Allison" Gave us:

Tell that to all the original calculator manufacturers that made millions on just such displays.

My commodore pulled .8 amps with both memories filled with 8s and the mantissa filled with 8 even into the no viewable digits. It pulled about .3 A with all cleared and a single 1 entered on the display. Great calculator!

12 digit mantissa in '74 huh? OK.

Wrong. The Battery operated world never went to fluorescents with any degree of success.

That isn't a display, that is a meter. So yes, it will have an attached price. It has nothing to do with the color red, however.

All the extra lines after your post is even more retarded than your baseline retarded behavioral crap, Phil.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

If it is plugged into the wall why should I care about that?

Reply to
gfretwell

** The REASON very few LED displays are seen on ordinary commercial products, even non-battery powered ones , is that fluorescent and LCD displays allow VASTLY more complicated and useful displays to be made than is possible with LEDs.

Look at any VCR or mobile phone display - it has clever icons, bar graphs and multiple alpha-numeric fonts all on ONE back lit device.

But I agree that red LED displays look great.

My bench DMM, 2 frequency counters and an AC current monitor ALL have seven segment, red LED displays.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

12

at a go.

I had one of these:

12 digit result flourescent display that ran on batteries (6 digit display with shift key)

types.

Uh huh.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

On Mon, 08 May 2006 22:56:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in Msg.

Yes, it's a great loss. In laboratory environments, where you often want to read numbers from a distance from wide angles and under various lighting conditions, nothing beats red or green LED, 7-segment displays. Amber fluorescent displays are good, too. LCDs, backlit or not, are crap.

Blue LEDs are a real pest too. Some bright guy had the brillant idea to install clocks with 4-inch, blue 7-segment displays (the segments made of rows of LEDs) in a local railway station. Impossible to read. I've got 20/20 sight (with glasses) and can't read the damn things unless I'm about ten feet away. I guess the eye has only few blue-sensitive receptors.

Shame also on the folks at Lakeshore who think that cryogenic equpiment calls for blue fluorescent displays.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

"Vastly more complicated" is not necessilarly a good thing. I think the industry has abandoned a 73 million person market, the boomers. Lots of tiny buttons and overly complicated displays are not appreciated by folks who just want to know what time it is or what the temperature of something is. It is much like the "Microsofting" of computers where we have taken basic text mode applications and added

100 meg of unneeded graphics, for no particular reason..
Reply to
gfretwell

** Fuck off - you TROLLING bloody imbecile.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

LEDs, or fake bombs? ;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

Somebody needs a nap

Reply to
gfretwell

Special effects designers...yes indeed. If you want to see the way these guys think, check out Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel sometime. After seeing their can-firing treaded combat vending machine, I feel as if I'm in the wrong line of work.

Reply to
cbm5

It would be a real shame if the batteries in the bomb went dead from running the display before the countdown completed.

Sleep is for wimps. Happy, healthy, well-rested wimps, but wimps
nonetheless.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On Tue, 9 May 2006 02:58:37 -0500, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

S I X D I G I T D I S P L A Y. Oh boy!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 09 May 2006 17:07:10 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." Gave us:

Especially if the circuit is operated over a normally closed relay being held open over a charged ignition cap circuit. Boom... Bada Big Boom.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Ain't that the truth! Seeing LEDs count down on TV bombs always makes me laugh out loud. So silly. The really hilarious bombs BEEP with each second.

(OT: whassup wi' the all-too-frequent station break segments during the TV program "24"? beep...BEEP...beep...BEEP ... Wastes considerable program time.)

--
Michael
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: (snip)

... or use their "clicker" mostly to mute or channel surf during commercials. O that end I bought a really nice after-market IR remote for use with my TV. It has two BIG buttons for channel, two BIG buttons for volume, and small buttons for mute and ON/OFF. A blind person could use it; no squint-before-poke. Keys are identifiable by feel and large enough that we ham-fisted persons need not use a stylus to press one.

Couple of weeks ago I replaced an aging but unbowed Panasonic VCR (circa 1984) with a VCR/DVD combo. The remote for that sucker is about 10" x 2" and has a zillion buttons! I'm going to shelve that useless thing once I've determined the several useful codes I want and burned them into a PIC-based remote.

-- Michael

Reply to
Michael