Way OT: And John F Will Bitch - Passwords

Maybe.Although with babies, you can always say he's twenty two months, or something. It is almost like the next year marker is an achievement that we wan't to reward, and we are mentally preparing ourselves for the ceremony.

Thankfully people are still quite happy to say of me, he's fifty five. I will keep my ears open for signs that my friends believe I'm not long for this world (provided they are still around, of course).

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

Is that how you do it when you tell people how old you are? I bet it isn't.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

No, a bug is a feature that will not be supported at the next release. Alternative features will, however, be provided free of charge.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

seems

Just

delete the one

In the DOS window type WINIPCFG and hit enter. Another window should pop up.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Is it the same problem?

Identities and password lists are also refered to in the registry and in SYSTEM.INI. Both are editable.

RL

Reply to
legg

Oooops, one more thing: remove the password after selecting 'full' access.

This is how our machines are set up with our home network. We have 7 computers on PRIX-At-Home.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

I just though it was just an ' undocumented feature '. ;-)

Absolutely !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

[snip]

Thanks! That looks to be the tutorial I need. But what has me puzzled is that IPCONFIG reports "Can't read IP configuration".

I'll work my thru it again. Maybe I'm missing something fundamental.

Thanks again!

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Better watch that!! You'll end up like the lady at work! She wrote a post-it note and stuck it to my monitor, meaning to say "please see me ASAP", but she left out the 'see'. Verrrrrry embarrassing!

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Jim Thompson in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic:

: >>Thanks, that's now fixed. But there's still a problem :-( : >

: >

: >Is it the same problem? : >

: >Identities and password lists are also refered to in the registry and : >in SYSTEM.INI. Both are editable. : >

: >RL : : I've tried installing/uninstalling, every scheme in the books, but I : keep getting "Can't access network". : : Part of the problem is I'm not at all network savvy. My only : experience and setup model is my 4 computers on Win2K, which is : working just ducky. But I'm totally unfamiliar with Win98, it's : network setups bear no resemblance to that of Win2K.

You need to have a username and password on the Windows 2000 system, which is identical to the username and password used for logon on the Windows95/98/ME system. (Or vice versa;-)

See:

HTH

--
RdM
Reply to

Jim Thompson writes:-

: >See: : >

: >

: >HTH : : Thanks! That looks to be the tutorial I need. But what has me : puzzled is that IPCONFIG reports "Can't read IP configuration". : : I'll work my thru it again. Maybe I'm missing something fundamental.

On W98SE you can also use Start>Run>winipcfg - and in a dos box here on W09SE, ipconfig shows OK as the 192.168.0.1 this PC on this network is. Have you set up IP addresses to be obtained automatically or manually?

98SE has no DHCP server built in ... you may need to read up on all this!

No doubt by now you will have checked the other specific 98/2K tutorials. There used to be a downloadable version of much of that website info ...

Sorry a glitch prevented me from catching up earlier;- hope it's helped!

Cheers!

--
RdM
Reply to

The Real Andy, GFY!

Problem turned out to be that Compaq PCMCIA capability was lacking for running a network card. Trying a USB network adapter, it came right up.

...Jim Thompson

Tell the old cunt, in fact no, Go and buy the poor old cunt a new PC with XP (yes, they are cheap) and bang the shitty old hard drive in the new PC. Problem solved.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Windows won't like seeing a whole new set of hardware when it starts up. It will be disoriented, dizzy and may well projectile vomit.

There may be some hidden way to force it to re-discover all the hardware and (re)set itself up properly for the new (supported?) hardware, but I ended up completely re-installing Windows and all applications when I replaced the motherboard on one computer. At least I didn't have to transfer the data over, and Win98 is happier with a clean installation anyhew.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
[snip]

I found out that PCMCIA stands for People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms!

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

and if your sharing on a network, the W2k will be able to "see' the w98 files but because of file security and workgroup constraints, the W98 machine will not be able to 'see' the W2k files (or is that in xp?...dont quite remember) John

RdM wrote:

Reply to
John Hudak