way, way OT: question about vegetable garden

There seems to be a pretty smart group of people who frequent this newsgroup, so I thought I would ask here. So when should broccoli and cauliflower be harvested? I put these in about early May. At an earlier time they looked similar to what you see in the market but did not really look like they were ready. This is the first time I have tried these.

Gary Peek

It's too late - these plants have gone to seed some time ago. You should have picked them when they looked and felt like the ones at the market.

Sorry, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trnddc03.POSTED!dd653b87!not-for-mail

Depends on where you are. In the Bay Area, the best time to plant broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower is in the early fall. The Cole plants like to grow in cool weather. I have cut broccoli from the back yard which had frost on it. Cabbage will grow into the spring before it bolts to seed. Carrots are also excellent when planted in late summer and harvested in December or January.

Ken Fowler

Reply to
Ken Fowler