Waiting hours, but not for charging.

PS: Took me half a day to pop the control arm ball joint. The HFT ball popper works if the ball pin is above the hole, but not when it's flush mounted to the hole as for the Leaf. So, we either weld a pin on the ball joint (probably bad idea) or a pin on a custom popper.

We might end-up with a custom control arm. Expensive but necessary to drive in a city with heartless overzealous meter maids, who give $108 ticket an hour after the accident.

My friend in Vegas can do wonder with metals.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

If it was in the UK and the police wanted to push it then parking your car on the pavement (US speak sidewalk). Funnily enough when parked on the pavement (US sidewalk) in the UK only a police officer can deal with it. The penalties are therefore higher than for mere parking fines.

If you did that in Belgium chances are that it would be towed away and impounded by the police at a compound within 4 hours.

They have a very efficient abandoned/badly parked car removal service. (about the only policing thing they do well)

Reply to
Martin Brown

I can fix it in 4 hours next time. I just have to keep another set of control arms and all the tools in the car. With weak arms, I am sure it's going to happen again. It was more than 30 years ago last time I replaced an arm.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Reading Ed Lee's posts is like a three ring circus. There's always something going on for your entertainment!

Reply to
Ricky

It took me several days to look for service: Plan A: $300 part + $400 labour Plan B: $200 labour, but doing it one week later Plan C: $240 labour, but never show up Plan D: DIY Had to replace the arm, but I can probably duct tape the CV boot, until I can get to real service.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Good luck. I'm surprised your car hasn't been covered with tickets and towed.

Reply to
Ricky

1 ticket an hour later and towed 50 miles to San Jose. I was away looking for service. If I stay working on it, probably won't be ticketed.
Reply to
Eddy Lee

You have to wonder how many random spare car parts he drives around with and whether there is any space remaining for passengers or luggage!

Reply to
Martin Brown

you think there was any space left with all the sketchy wiring and junk batteries?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There are spare batteries in the back seat. Tools and parts in the trunk. Front passenger seat is available. My 300 pound batteries are the back passengers. In fact, to protect my passengers, their is a wood panel lock across the back doors. Even if they break my windows (it happened), they can't take my passengers.

To save space and weight (a little bit), I can integrate the control arms into the panel lock.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Tools do not take up too much space, but weight. And they can be dual functions. I can mount the 3/8 breaker bar on the control arm to prevent it from bending.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Do you have any photos of this weird contraption? It is sounding more and more Heath Robinson by the minute (ISTR Rube-Goldberg in US speak).

Reply to
Martin Brown

I'll take some later. It's 50 miles away.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

I do have some pictures of the bended control arm and 110V to 384V inverter.

http://108.213.66.240

Reply to
Eddy Lee

If you were smart, you would leave it at 50 miles away. The things some people do for free charging.

Reply to
Ricky

I would, if it's in North San Jose, where I can reach from Bart or Caltrain. But it's south end of the city and hard to get to.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Perhaps I should leave it at Fremont Bart (30 miles away, $105 per month, rather than $108 per hour). Charging is not free but reasonable (13 cents per KWhr).

But i still need it for grocery shopping.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

The word you are looking for here is "bent". "bended" is not correct in this context

Feather Duster

OK, the bended arm was bent from side-way momentum.

Eddy Lee

The doubler (192V to 384V) switch is not shown.

BTW, these are recycled 12V ventilator batteries in recycled ocean-spray bottles. Four 24V power relays in recycled mix-nut box in the middle, driven by a 12V to 24V inverter. All housed in a recycled milk crate.

Reply to
Eddy Lee