VOIP connector --> video recorder over switch

Hi.

I college of me has installed one video recorder to network switch. Switch is plugged into VOIP connector because there was no other on the site ( user has just VOPI phone ).

Is this correct wiring and does he needs to connect to standard "data" , net plug....

Reply to
gm

It's a PoE (Power over Ethernet) jack but otherwise normal. Jacks for VoIP are usually separate from normal data jacks because the PoE routers are more expensive and bulky. Commonly you'll see the VoIP jack connect to an old 100Mbps PoE switch and the data jack connect to a modern 1Gbps switch.

PoE is used for security cameras too.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not using IP cameras just standard AHD cameras and recorder is connected to those cameras. Am asking this mainly because of possible recorder problems. Let me explain HW connection in more details:

- VOIP wall jack --> utp cable to switch --> one UTP to VOIP phone , second UTP to recorder.

Is it possible that recorder can pick up 12v from this wall jack? The main problem is that the recorder crashed one time, but i can not find any good reason for this "problem". There was no power supply problems...

Reply to
gm

It's more like ~48VDC but normal devices can't see it. There's a small probe voltage sent out. If it detects a PoE device, the voltage is turned up. If it's not a PoE device, the probe voltage hits isolation transformers and goes nowhere. You can buy a device to extract regulated 12V from PoE.

As for it crashing - most network security systems are garbage. Counterfeit chips, mismatched surplus parts, stolen software, fake certifications, rebranding, and usually plenty of malware. There are only a few brands making quality systems. Your recorder probably died during an automated network hacking attempt.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

--------------- I agree with you. HW quality is another story...

Regarding the network hacking... I set network traffic monitoring for few days , just to see what will happen but i didn't notice any difference or hacking attempts.

Reply to
gm