Venturi wind turbines

I do wonder about maintenance though. There's not much friction in clean, smooth PVC pipe, but in real life bugs are going to get sucked in, and thos e are going to leave sticky residues in the plumbing that will attract dirt , and next thing you know, the friction factor is way up...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Put the intake on a lazy susan, with a weather vane to point it into the wind.

If you route or switch the exhaust similarly downwind (possibly even through a reverse Venturi, for comic investor-suckering effect), you can relieve some of the backpressure too. I dub it the double-synergy Pushme-pullyou version.

Please send my checks to Emperor Oblahblah and her Moochelleness. (Saves me the trouble.)

The double-stimulus version could propel the truck faster and faster without limit. It uses the energy to print foodstamps on switchgrass paper, with enviro-sustainable 200% economic return. Burn the foodstamps in its bio-diesel hybrid hyper ion fuel-cell drive, and you're on your way to wind-powered LEO.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

Put the intake on a lazy susan, with a weather vane to point it into the wind.

If you route or switch the exhaust similarly downwind (possibly even through a reverse Venturi, for comic investor-suckering effect), you can relieve some of the backpressure too. I dub it the double-synergy Pushme-pullyou version.

Please send my checks to Emperor Oblahblah and her Moochelleness. (Saves me the trouble.)

The double-stimulus version could propel the truck faster and faster without limit. It uses the energy to print foodstamps on switchgrass paper, with enviro-sustainable 200% economic return. Burn the foodstamps in its bio-diesel hybrid hyper ion fuel-cell drive, and you're on your way to wind-powered LEO.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh, oh, oh... It's got the word "stimulus" in it. It simply can't lose. Just
think of the military uses for a LEO wind turbine. Hello, DARPA... hello?
Reply to
tm

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

The amount of energy a propeller style windmill can extract is limited by the design constraints of a propeller. Consider that there is only one place on the blade where it is moving through the air at the rate that the wind is moving. Any location closer to the hub will be turning more slowly pushing the blade faster and any place on the blade further out will actually be moving faster than the wind, *pushing* the wind faster and so slowing the blade. There is a term for this, but I don't remember it. The blade tips are always resisting the motion of the blade.

I think it is theoretically possible to do better. In practice, I believe the egg beater type blades are more efficient, but I'm not certain.

None of these propeller type designs are 100% efficient. If they were, they would *stop* the wind, no? Then all that air would just pile up and have to be shoveled away.

losses.

Compared to what?

--

Rick
Reply to

-01_20130225_EET-01_543&YM_RID= snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

Really? What do they do about buildings? Do they fold up in storms too?

--

Rick
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

I think it is funny that you guys think you are aeronautical engineers too. Do either of you actually know anything about this?

Air doesn't have to be "stupid" to go through a pipe. It happens every day in the city where wind is redirected and concentrated around buildings. You see it often in mountain passes.

It's easy to criticize. It's not so easy to understand.

--

Rick
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

Do

the

often

You seem to be very adept at both. Art

Reply to
Artemus

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

the

Any

faster and

wind,

but

blade.

***** 100% bullshit. Have you ever even looked at a propeller?

egg

would

***** No. Ever hear of a Pelton waterwheel?

losses.

The existing designs. Duh. Art

Reply to
Artemus

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

OK, do you claim that the neck down *won't* reduce intake volume?

The thing about inventions like this that they get a lot of press when they are announced, but nobody notices as they fade into obscurity.

I'd have to wait a couple of years to say "told'ya so!"

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Not very original, but very bogus.

Vortec tried something similar in NZ, friends of mine lost money investing in it.

Richard Flay is a friend who did work for them:

Gib Bogle

It's a scam.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

shipped until later this year...

They will never have a product shipped.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

You think that's fragile, look at this monster

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It seems to be a fundamentally flawed design: "Martin Hansen, a wind energy expert at the Technical University of Denmark , disagrees. He says INVELOX will draw in and speed up the wind as claimed, but when the turbine is placed inside the ductwork it will create such hig h pressure that little additional air will be drawn into the device, making it a poor alternative to conventional turbine designs."

me-changer/

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

The point is compared to what? This design works by raising the velocity of the air in order to make lighter airflows useful. If we are talking about windspeeds that won't produce useful energy from other devices and this unit will, then I don't think I care about details like the pressure in the neck ahead of the turbine.

What is your point?

What exactly is it that you are telling me? So far all I've read is "Seems silly". Does that mean you think the company won't succeed? That is very likely just based on the odds. Only 1 in 5 new small businesses even make it for five years. So yes, the odds are with you. There are tons of reasons why companies fail even if their basic idea is sound.

I don't see any engineering flaws that can't be overcome. Someone said this will blow away in a hurricane. Yes, if it has high enough winds, anything will blow away, like houses, trees, light posts. That is just a design tradeoff. How much money vs. how high winds it will take. I have no doubt that this structure *can* be built to withstand a 20 year storm (assuming the device is expected to run for 20 years, that seems a reasonable target). What it costs I can't say, I'm not a mechanical or civil engineer.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how well this progresses rather than being a doubting Thomas expecting it to fail.

--

Rick
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

*AFTER* they've sucked the public teat dry and moved onto the next.

Good enough now.

Reply to
krw

It may seem silly to you, but it's a great money-spinner for someone, apparently. It will generate cash-flow, but no electrical power.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com&YM_MID=1375571&sfvc4enews=42

of

the

Any

faster and

wind,

this, but

blade.

This page is about a propeller. For moving an airplane and such. Try using the wind to turn it. The picture changes greatly. I have read some on this and that is what I was speaking from. I looked at some of the numbers related to wind energy and it is not viable with most designs unless you get very high up and/or are in a place with good winds most of the time. That is nowhere near me.

Have you checked out any info on using the wind to turn a propeller. Have you noticed that the shape of the propeller you linked to is *very* different from the blades of a windmill? When you figure out why, you will understand what I wrote.

the egg

would

What is that about? I have no idea what point you are trying to make referring to a water wheel when we are discussing windmills.

losses.

With no real info on either existing designs or the design in question, it is hard to justify such a statement. The claim made, that it will operate with winds as slow as 2 MPH would provide energy when a windmill won't even turn. So which is more efficient?

--

Rick
Reply to

"The chimney had a height of 195 metres (640 ft) and a diameter of 10 metres (33 ft) with a collection area (greenhouse) of 46 hectares (110 acres) and a diameter of 244 metres (801 ft), obtaining a maximum power output of about 50 kW."

50 kW... 110 acres... wow.

Now, a greenhouse of 110 acres would be pretty neat, actually... especially someplace really cold...

Reply to
mrdarrett

The above link is for vertical axis wind power. They are unidirectional. This is kind of like arguing rotary engine versus pistons. They each have their advantages. Mariah as a company has gone through a few owners.

They have/had (I haven't been there for two years) a small Mariah vertical wind power generator by the Marin Civic Auditorium. The vertical units are far more likely to be able to get past city councils than the horizontal units.

Regarding keeping wind power running 24 and 7, that is not the objective. In the all of the above strategy, you just put the clean power on the grid when you have it and throttle back the "dirty" sources like coal and nuclear.

You also have to look at this as a zero-sum game. A small amount of clean power allows quite a few new "dirty" cars to be put on the road. While I wish electric car manufacturers all the best, I think internal combustion engines are going to be around for a while. I read that the small solar array they put up near Nellis AFB in Las Vegas prevents the amount of greenhouse gases equivalent to about 160k cars.

Reply to
miso