Using 74xx574 D FF to expand PIC outputs

looking at rev A.

Easy mistake. Only reason I have rev C is because it bugged me that the sheet I had previously said "Preliminary" at the bottom. :-)

Reply to
Peter S. May

Wasn't this for an optical display?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Sure. But it sounded like "light show" and that's often done in conjunction with some kind of concert. Meaning long cables, rolled out by people who don't have the foggiest idea about EMI, stuff coupling over into the audio gear and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Though it's not for a "light show" per se, it will be attached to (and controlled by) a PC that is also producing sound, and the roadies I imagine you're talking about are really just home PC users (equally clueless about EMI), so this is in fact something that will probably require consideration...

Reply to
Peter S. May

Many of them sure are blissfully unaware. I tried several times to convince a guy who had lots of noise in his audio to invest a few bucks in an audio transformer, explaining that the switcher of his laptop was causing the noise. Weeks later he was still wrestling with the problem, trying to get by using the battery. Did he go to Radio Shack and buy a transformer? Nope.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I agree here too - whenever I use a protoboard, I load it up with caps. If there's a chip I can't straddle with a cap, I'll put one at each end, from Vcc to Gnd:

Reply to
Rich Grise

Good to know! I got lucky this time: The PIC's Vdd/Vss are directly across from each other, and the 574s have an active low enable pin directly across from Vcc, which I then jumped to ground. But I'll probably do what you've done once I get around to ordering that veritable bucket of .1uF ceramic caps...

Thanks PSM

Reply to
Peter S. May