12 bit D/A w/ 6 outputs?

Hi,

I am looking for 12-bit full word parallel D/A converters with atleast

4 channels of output voltage of -10V to +10V in a dip packaging and a sampling rate of atleast 100 Ksps.

Does anyone know of any company that makes anything like this. I have already checked with maxim-ic and analog devices.

Thanks, Rahul

Reply to
Rahul Agarwal

atleast

have

I think you are going to find this hard from a pin count perspective. Parallel inputs mean that you would have difficulty keeping below

64 pins, and a DIP package that large will be _expensive_ even if it is still available (note it will be more than 8 cm long).

There are plenty of parts that meet your functional requirements (12 bit, 4 channel, voltage o/p, 100kS/s).

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian Buckner

Rahul Agarwal wrote: > Hi, >

Parts in DIP cases are somewhat out of fashion. Try something smaller. And bipolar outputs are out of fashion too. Usually GND to Vcc. Parallel inputs are only offered for really fast DACs doing many MSamples. Your chances rise by dropping one or the other or all.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

We do not plan to mass produce what we are building. This is a research project at a small school and we lack the equipment to solder surface mount or similar components. We are restricted to perforated boards (or ordering pcbs for larger circuits) and hand soldering the components. Size is not really a problem. 8 cm would be reasonable.

Is there any company/person who can solder the smaller ics into dip-type pin out? Or is there any way to do that in lab without buying expensive soldering equipment.

thanks, Rahul

Reply to
Rahul Agarwal

A small school should learn to hand solder surface mount components! It's been covered in this NG several times, it's not difficult (except for BGA) using the simplest of tools. There are plenty of low(ish) cost prototyping houses to make the PCBs economically.

My suggestion would be to identify re-useable building blocks within the project, have PCBs made for them allowing them to be mounted on matrix board, then you will gradually build up a useful library of macro components for future projects. Maybe even sell them to raise cash!

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Hi, you can solder sm parts with an iron quite easily.

Reply to
CBarn24050

Analog Devices DAC8412, DAC8413 are possibilities. Parallel interface but you must also drive 3 address pins in addition to the 12 data pins.

Also the AD7837, AD7847 are possibilities. None of these are cheap in small quantities unless you can get some free samples from Analog Devices.

Another source would be Burr-Brown. Another would be Datel.

Depending on what your end requirements are, you could also build your own R-2R DACs with some latches, reasonably well matched resistors and an op-amp.

Reply to
Rob Young

Reply to
Trevor