Update on the "search engine without parts spammers"

That's about my "custom search engine" where I am excluding web spammers. Right now I am excluding about 63 of them and parts searches are finally useful again. (without a-holes like china-ic.com, globalspec, bizrate, etc).

First of all, I fixed its settings so that it accepts collaborators. I will obviously accept anyone who I can recognize.

I did something cute that I am using myself. I added this search engine to the Firefox search bar (the drop down menu where you can choose which search engine to use). It should also work for IE.

To install this search engine as a choice in your browser, go to

and click on "add this search engine to IE or Firefox".

I am also very interested in your suggestions of what other junk sites I missed.

Ignoramus2932

Can we find out a little more? What are these datasheet sellers? Are all those datasheets available for free? But the sellers come up higher in search results due to serch engine optimization? What are the examples?

My feeling is that if for those datasheets that are sold, there are findable free ones, then there is no reason to include non-free datasheets.

Let's find out more and I will be happy to follow consensus.

Ignoramus2932

I guess that there are two categories of parts spammers: One kind of spammer does not actually have the datasheet at all, whereas a different kind of spammer (or maybe not spammer?) does have the datasheet but wants to sell it to you. I would personally like to exclude both kinds, but I guess some people might be prepared to pay for data sheets etc. sometimes. Do you think it is worth having two levels of filtering?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

One option would be to list any free sources first, and pay sources afterwards. Even if people are willing to pay, presumably they'll prefer not to.

Reply to
Nobody

So... Who are those datasheet sellers?

Ignoramus2932

Thank you Chris. I did not try to eliminate product sellers -- only those fake ones who post millions of pages with parts lists and say "call us for a quote".

Ignoramus25943

Sorry, I went back to the site that I thought was trying to sell me the datasheet and instead it was actually giving away the datasheet but trying to sell me the component. I just saw the price and then the pdf icon next to it and formed the wrong conclusion.

Thanks for the good work, Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Partminer charges for older datasheets.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I believe that I have partminer blocked already.

Ignoramus9581

They started out by buying the old Cahners publishing 'CAPS' system and offered free access for a very short time but you had to register. If you did, they bugged the crap out of you, including calling you at work to sell your company a large block of access. Then they stopped giving access to anything you couldn't find on the OEM's website. As far as I'm concerned, they are useless. The company I worked for had to subscribe to get a few data sheets, but most of the time what they had was scanned at such low quality they were almost useless.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida