Update on Art Of Electronics Third Edition Progress

"We're a bit behind schedule, but I think this means we'll shorten some of the x chapters a bit - just a bit mind you. There's too much good stuff already finished that we can't continue to hold back.

"We're getting closer. For example, we broke the old 80-page precision and low-noise Chapter 7 into two, both greatly-expanded with massive cool stuff. We submitted Chapter 5, Precision Circuits, last summer, and it was 135 pages long. This week we're finishing Chapter 8, Low-Noise Techniques, and we expect it to be about 130 pages. So that's about 3x more great material, on just those two topics! We expect y'all will love it."

Hah, Chapter 8 ended up 166 pages long. Whew!

"In January we'll submit chapter 9, Power Design - it's almost done now, and then we'll have submitted 15 chapters, leaving five more "x" chapters to go.

I think I mentioned the x chapters, with their extra, more-advanced material, so we certainly don't want to short-change them! Anyway, three of those are more than half done, and we hope to have submitted everything by next summer.

That means the book should be out by late 2012 or early 2013."

--
  - Win"

And a followup email

Just a couple follow up questions so I have a bit more to share.

Does that mean the "half" finished x chapters have grown like chapter 8?
And you mentioned that
after chapters 8 and 9;
15 chapters (out of 20 if I read that right) had been submitted (for
editing/checking I assume), have
any more chapters
been submitted? Is submitting this year still a goal?

"Everything has grown, except the 20-chapter total
is still correct.  But we may simply cutoff the growing
x chapters at some point this year, to insure the book
reaches the streets early next year.  I have been saying
for some time the writing will be finished this summer
but without specifying when the summer ends.  Now
I must finally admit there's no way I can characterize
this point in the future as the end of the summer.  :-)

Then we have huge stacks of proof-read and copy-edited
marked-up drafts and drawings to go over, etc., lots to
do still.  CUP has the difficult page-layout task and then
we have to review / fix the galleys and make an index.
Reply to
solarmist

That's going to be a $300 book- just for the PDF version...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

he

?

text -

Maybe two volumes?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How about adding a chapter covering avalanche breakdown; there is a lot of info archived in Google, presented by Winfield and others,that would be a very good start.

Reply to
Robert Baer