AoE x-Chapters, 2nd printing, need corrections, suggestions

AoE x-Chapters. The first 9000-copy printing is now spoken for, so a second printing is being scheduled. We have a few-week window to make corrections, and maybe even add material where things are confusing (if there's page room in the section), etc.

While you don't yet have books in your hands, you can read many sections in advance. C.U.P. has 32 pages, including 1x.1, Wire and Connectors, at their website:

We've put up 11 more sections, starting with 1x.2, and two or three from each chapter, at our webpage,

And I've put up draft versions of 23 sections on DropBox (I'll add a folder link later this morning). Some who ordered direct from CUP may get copies soon.

So this would be a good time to carefully read over what's available, and email your comments to me, at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

If, while studying the TOC in CUP's 32 pages, you see a section you really want to review, let me know.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

My Amazon copy is still back-ordered. If you email me the whole thing, I'll look it over next week and comment. At my age and laziness, I can't ski dawn to dusk. I'll keep it confidential of course.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

The CUP pre-order webpage is

They say, "Pre-order before 29 February and use code AEX2019P at the checkout to receive a 20% discount!" (The discount code box comes up later in the process.)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Your CUP is *almost* ready to runneth over.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm still working on that, won't be ablk to finish until tomorrow. The book has 95 sections. Some are quite short, deal with a topic, be done. But most are longer. About 10 sections are 12 to 19 pages.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

There's so much talk about the X-Chapters here and elsewhere, but I've never seen a comment anywhere about the lab manual for either the 2nd or

3rd editions. X is more advanced or more in-depth, and the lab book is the opposite, but that makes it an excellent book for amateurs. It should be marketed more.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

CUP is marketing the three books together.

Let's clear up one thing. Tom Hayes' book is no longer a lab manual for AoE, AoE 3rd or the x-Chapters. And its name, Learning the AoE, is a misnomer, because although it was supposed to be connected to AoE, with appropriate cross references, etc., sadly, it does not. It is lab oriented, but it's really Tom's approach to the scene.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

One of my very few criticisms of the 2nd Edition was the chapter on jfets and mosfets which I felt jumped back and forth far too much between the various sub types and became confusing. Is that something that's been fixed in AOE3?

--

"When constituencies are small their elected representatives must concern themselves with the local interests of their constituents. When political representatives are distant and faceless, on the other hand, and represent vast numbers of unknown constituents, they represent not their constituents, but special interest groups whose lobbyists are numerous and ever present. Typically in Europe a technocrat is an ex-politician or a civil servant. He is unelected, virtually impossible to dislodge during his term of employment and has been granted extensive executive and even legislative power without popular mandate and without being directly answerable to the people whose interests he falsely purports to represent."

- Sir James Goldsmith (Member of the European Parliament) 1933 - 1997

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Dunno, but I completely re-wrote it and substantially expanded it as well, plus added lots of special material in the x-Chapters. One of my specialties is creating all kinds of analog HV circuits using power MOSFETs. Quite a bit of this stuff has been put up on s.e.d.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I did download all the x-chapters you linked to here, but have been so unusually busy with other stuff that I have pretty much completely missed the launch of the 3rd Edition and had no time to read the x-chaps either, I regret to say. I'm no electronics expert and never will be, but when it comes to editing stuff to improve comprehensibility I'm one of the best there is for that very reason (if you'll excuse the flagrant immodesty). Hopefully I'll still be around for the 4th Ed launch whenever that may be - and in a better position to contribute by then!

--

[...]

We solicit corrections and suggestions, and our long- suffering editor apply our list of changes before each new printing. So yes, you can still contribute.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I wrote an email offering to help, but sofar no reply :-)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Thanks for the reminder, I'm sending you a file now.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Great?

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

Have fun!

Chapter 9x, Advanced Topics in Power Control, is one of the shortest chapters, only 93 pages long. But there are lots of "power control" topics in the rest of the book, especially anything dealing with power MOSFETs. The BJT and Op-Amp chapters also delve into the power scene, but mostly with various high-voltage and/or pulsed design aspects.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

9xp13: "As The Donald might say, ?you?re ?red!? ??" Really, Win, really? I know you like to add levity throughout, but please find someone else as inspiration...
Reply to
Rich S

Whew, I didn't know that was in there. No doubt written long ago, before we knew.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Well I don't know about Harvard, but there are probably schools here and there that use them together.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso