uP hobbyist kits

I am looking for enough kit to do maybe two or three projects for PIC and= AVR. =20 Target price, about $100 for each vendor. Works in Linux or Linux/wine = preferred. Also some small LCD displays if not included. I can go higher $ but = prefer not to.

Reply to
JosephKK

preferred.

not to.

Hardware is easy:

AVR prototype boards:

PIC prototype boards:

WINAVR C compiler The latest MPLAB from Microchip web site has C compilers built in for

10F, 12F, 16F AND 18F.

I know nothing about Linux.

Reply to
don

JosephKK wibbled on Friday 05 February 2010 03:11

STK500 is the defacto for AVR 8's (Mega/Tiny). Need STK600 or similar for AVR32. STK500 works beautifully under linux (it's an intelligent board so RS232 is not a bit-bang timing sensitive interface, thus works with random USB-RS232 adaptors too). Supports so called low voltage and high voltage (rescue mode) programming - some cheap knock-offs might not. 80 quid UK, so hopefully within your budget in dollars.

avrdude for programming and fuse blowing devices. GCC for compilation and linking. Ubuntu linux has all the required packages in the main repos. Shouldn't be any issues with other linuxes.

I'll leave PICs to someone else, except that GCC does not target PICs and is unlikely too. SDCC I *think*???

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

I've had good luck with AVRISP mkII (49$ Digikey) and a dev board from Olimex. But I'm running windows. If the AVRSTUDIO software comes in a linux flavor, you'd be all set for

49+29+Shipping...

Steve

Reply to
osr

gcc isn't available for 8-bit PICs, and sdcc's PIC support is pre-alpha quality.

There is a Linux CLI tool for driving the PICKit2, though, as well as an assembler/disassembler/linker (gputils).

Reply to
Nobody

and is=20

Cool. Lots of stuff i had not found on my own. Thranx. Open for more.

Reply to
JosephKK

AVR. =A0

preferred.

efer not to.

Hi! You are welcome to use the N8VEM home brew computer for your project. It is Z80 based and designed for easy and reliable construction by new builders. It is not PIC or AVR but the basic computer concepts are all there. The N8VEM SBC supports an optional PS/2 keyboard and LCD display by connecting to its parallel port. The main benefit of N8VEM SBC is the design is completely free/open with all the information posted publicly. Since it uses regular serial port interface it is not dependent on PC software or special vendor supplied tools.

It would be more work than an off the shelf PIC or AVR demo board but probably quite a bit cheaper. The N8VEM home brew computer is intended for educational purposes. It brings the computer subsystems out into the circuit board (CPU, RAM, ROM, UART, PPI, IO and memory decode logic, etc) which may be more suitable for teaching basic computer architecture compared to a uC solution which combines all of those functions into a single chip. However, it depends on your target audience and what you are trying to accomplish.

Yes, this is a real computer system. No, this is not spam. It is just an offer to help if you want it. Alternatively, you may want to consider the Parallax Propeller Demo Board which is a nice self contained uC system complete with prototyping area.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Reply to
lynchaj

and

Linux/wine

for=20

so=20

random=20

=20

so=20

and=20

and is=20

That is a bit steep. I will consider it.

Reply to
JosephKK

It seems that Atmel has decided to graft itself onto the gcc toolchain=20 for AVR32 development. I think that the STK1000 is required for this=20 though.

Reply to
JosephKK

JosephKK wibbled on Friday 12 February 2010 04:02

What - price of STK500?

There are cheaper ways if that's an issue. Lot's of 3rd party bits and bobs will support ISP low voltage programming too and if you are desperate enough, you can jury rig a parallel port to bit bang the things.

Tim Watts

Tim Watts

PIC

Linux/wine

for

so

random

voltage

UK,

and

and

bobs=20

Thanks but i am so not into bit banging with a PC, that is what uCs were=20 invented for.

Reply to
JosephKK

JosephKK wibbled on Monday 15 February 2010 00:38

Then you'll want the STK500 (there are newer versions, called ), a clone or maybe a USB/RS232 to ISB bridge - all of which have some intelligence. Maybe I misread you (is 80 quid give or take too much?).

This is probably the cheapest option if you don't need a development board with sockets, leds etc as such:

25 quid and presents as an STK500 to the PC (so everything will talk to it) and presents an Atmel standard ISP header (well, both of them) at the other.

However, it doesn't appear to support High Voltage programming, so if you mess up the wrong fuse you won't be able to rescue the device.

--
Tim Watts

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to