Unusual Bias Method

Well I don?t need a spice file but I?d love an explanation of the circu it parts. A current mirror, a darlington... Q3,4 look like a current mirror, but driv en from the comaprator??

I?m still looking for the ?perfect? power opamp. Here?s the crosso ver distortion of an OPA544 20Vp-p 10kHz into 10 ohms.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nice lights! :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Think of it as a current steering device.

The car version _is_ A-B bias, but the TL091 adds a minute amount of distortion.

A full discrete component (transistors only, no OpAmp or comparator) version, with 4 transistors plus a bandgap (on one chip) replacing all the folderol of the LM311 and complex mirror arrangement, yielded harmonic distortion at 0.003% and transient intermod immeasurable (using GenRad test gear). ...Jim Thompson

Thanks! We like them. Despite being in our mid 70's, we tend toward more modern decor than our neighbors who are in their mid 30's... who seem to like "Early American" styling ;-) ...Jim Thompson

You got bored with Early American when it was "avant-garde". ;-)

"Mission" is more our style in furniture.

Reply to
krw

Never ever was into "Early American"... "mission" as in Spanish modern, yep. ...Jim Thompson

When you finally figure out how it works, let us know.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

See what I mean about smugly obnoxious?

What is with this turd? I designed and built it. It works. I certainly know how it works.

Larkin is so smugly obnoxious he must be both Irish and Democrat >:-} ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:31:41 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

The TDA7294 chip is a decent amp. Unfortunately it seems they changed the chip into a -B version (B suffix), changed the chip design. and somebody here reported that oscillated without an RC filter to ground on the output. Mine does not need the filter, and have used it to drive pretty weird loads, transformers, Cryo-cooler... I have also driven capacitive loads with that (piezos) way above audible.

Year 2000... still working.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Back when we moved in here, we hung four ceiling fans, and one chandelier. It took Pamela about a week to assemble the chandelier, and then I had to hang it. It weighed about twenty pounds, but it was one of those twenty layers of crystals things and the box was almost too small...

Reply to
Charlie E.

Do that 2N7000 thing while you're at it. Show your work.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

--- What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so do that "Latching relays have infinite gain." thing and show your work.

Reply to
John Fields

On a sunny day (Wed, 27 Nov 2013 07:23:14 -0600) it happened John Fields wrote in :

And you, show your 28 photo cells on a 7 segment display + software + hardware. BigMouth. Did not work for the OP now did it? No it did not.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Here?s the crosso= OK no more apostrophes in google groups... they turn into this (?) weird.

, changed the chip design.

on the output

ds, transformers, Cryo-cooler...

Thanks Jan I've looked at that before. I'd like something that's more like an opamp.. so signals from DC to (maybe) 1 MHz. unity gain stable.. not * just* an audio amp.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Wed, 27 Nov 2013 06:49:20 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

I have, somewhere a simple diagram to do that with discretes, nothing new, quite common ciruit. You want heatsinking anyways, so a few small extra transistors, no MOSFETs (small extra board) will look even smaller next to the heatsinks...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Larkin never shows his work, because his turds don't work. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

It's just obvious if you apply the concept of limits. As time goes to infinity, etc. The concept of infinity is inherently imprecise, but there are similar statements in physics that are accepted.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

The answer has probably already been posted, but I stopped reading the thread when it degenerated into insults (as usual), so here is what it looks like to me:

If both output transistors are briefly off or very nearly off while the output is increasing through crossover (zero or near zero current through both emitter resistors), then the LM311 goes high due to the lag through the RC on the negative input, delivering additional current to the current mirror with illegible designations through D1, pulling current from the 20uF 10V capacitor, increasing it's voltage thus increasing the bias offset provided by Q5 and Q6 until there is enough bias voltage difference to insure some small overlap in the on time of the output transistors. Q1 and Q2 appear to keep the bias voltages centered between the rails, and possibly Q8 pulls the negative input of the comparator down enough to prevent noise from turning it on with no input?. (Not at all sure about Q8, it might do more than that).

Am I close? Hints on Q8?

Regards, Glen

Reply to
Glen Walpert

yes we have been over it before, infinity divided by finite number is still infinity

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes that whole argument is dumb. Larkins Big Mistake boils down to a particular choice of word usage, perfectly valid in itself. For example it is exactly the one wikipedia uses.

It's amazing that it keeps getting trotted out after all this time.

--

John Devereux
Reply to