Help with unusual email

Hi guys, I have a friend that mostly likely died while on a sailing trip. There is not much hope anymore, the last contact was in May, when they were sailing from New Zealand to Australia and they reported "bare poles while in a storm" I just received an email with her name in the From line and "Fwd, News" in the Subject line. The body contained this, Don't click it, malicious warning on my computer. hello!

The site is listed as being in Istanbul Turkey. I don't believe it is from her, but I'm curious how the originated. Any guidance, Mikek :-(

Reply to
amdx

E-mail headers are easy to spoof. All it takes is one example message from a victim's account, no hacking necessary.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, she'll turn up a few months from now with tales of her mad romps on wild, virgin beaches!

Advice: alter such URLs before posting (as below)

"Yeah, like I'm really going to think a FREIND of mine is going to send me a one word, GENERIC message and a 'random' link to click on! (which key to I press to DELETE..?)"

It's easy to synthesize email addresses with portions of information gleaned about "your contacts" from a variety of sources -- including YOU!

People still persist in NOT using Bcc headers for group communications. It's easy to rummage through a mbox harvesting any/all email addresses (and "screen names" associated with them).

How many of your friends would recognize an email from "amdx" as being bogus? Would they even

*see* the " in their email agent's configuration?

Email addresses like " snipped-for-privacy@mybusiness.com" are bad because it's so easy to synthesize one that *looks* legitimate -- if you can con an "open" mail relay into accepting/forwarding it for you!

[I used to receive messages from " snipped-for-privacy@WhiteHouse.gov" but I can assure you hthey weren't from William J! :> ]
Reply to
Don Y

If you look carefully at the header, it probably originated from some random email address.

The idea is to get you to click on the URL because you see her name in the header or on the From: line. Normally, the originating email address is hidden by the mailer, so you have no way to determine if it's one of her email addresses, unless you inspect the header. In short, it's a trick. I get about 5 of those per day, usually as a result of someone "scraping" my Facebook page, or as a result of some rogue Android or iPhone app that stole my address book. They're easy to spot because they usually are nothing more than Hey, look at what I found... . Don't be surprised if you get additional mailings with her name.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

You know how to look at the "original" or "source" code for the email, right? Post just the header part of the message.

Reply to
Greegor