Unusual Bias Method

As I see it, the LM311 is used as a slow op amp, compensated by the 22uF capacitor. If I were doing it, I'd think in terms of heatsinking the output transistors ( Q10 and Q9 ) with the bias pair (Q5 and Q6), but it'd be better if there were a third or fourth diode drop in the bias side, for thermal sensing.

I'd prefer not to use packaged darlingtons so as to sense the base-emitter voltages of the highest-current pair, but maybe I'm just biased...

Reply to
whit3rd

That's crazy, to use all those "outside the box" (ie, useless) parts to just reduce the crossover bias, and not protect anything, if the output is shorted. It sure looks like it was intended to protect something but was botched. If shorts were impossible, what's all that junk for?

The shutdown circuit doesn't make sense either. It just reduces the darlington bias, and doesn't kill the gain, so just puts the amp into high-distortion mode. Whatever DC offsets circulate current through the speaker remain in "shutdown."

The bias setting stuff is component-rich and silly. The usual Vbe multiplier worked fine and took a lot less parts.

Is that a pot between Q3 and Q4? Hard to see.

Bag-o-worms.

You still haven't demonstrated how PCB trace inductance can blow up that 2N7000. If this is an attempt to redeem yourself, it ain't working.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Looks like an attempt to servo the quiescent current. Can't work very well; it's all tangled up with the signal output current.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Please tell me that's a euphemism for 'cooking with wine' ;)

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thank you, John! You're proving my point. You have no clue!

Nope.

Only for those of the category, SUPER ASSHOLE. That's you. You're progressing straight to FULL STUFF IT UP >:-}

Sand in the air and super bloviation again. Actually 80V with your

100 Ohm gate source... but you'll never face up to it.

Hand wave and patch and rev; and cut and paste, it's the Tulane way

...Jim Thompson

And you're still too stupid to understand >:-}

I'm loving it ;-)

Be an asshole, get it served back to you. ...Jim Thompson

Nope. (Though I just screwed a keyboard with a glass of wine, really ;-)

My task, over the next several days, is to hang pod lights (already done, but ceiling boxes not level, so I have to fix), and then hang a chandelier in the dining room.

FYI, Larkin's smug-assed "view" remark, that view is wide-open thru the Queen Creek Wash... where it NEVER snows ;-) And where a restaurant named "d'Vine" resides... wonder what their specialty is ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Show us!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Jim Thompson"

** With no signal, the offset created by the 27ohm resistor and current source Q8 sets the bias threshold. The 311 can increase or reduce output bias (slowly) by controlling the forward bias of Q6. So the current through the two 0.33ohm resistors is set.

When there is enough signal current to swamp static bias, the 311 switches from high too low with every zero crossing of load current. With sine wave drive at least, this should result in little change in the bias setting.

I hold grave fears, however, about what happens when the signal voltage is asymmetrical OR there is high power output for an extended time.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Your standard retort when cornered. I designed and BUILT those 36 years ago. They worked marvelously. You SHOW US that you're competent enough to analyze a really VERY SIMPLE circuit. You can't. You're a POS asshole... and POS doesn't stand for "point of sale" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I should have added... once you've fully demonstrated your incapability I will demonstrate how it works... though I suspect Martin Riddle is firmly on the trail and Bloggs is not far behind. You... you're lost and flailing, a true POS bastard >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Your dancing and teasing and insecurity are pathetic. If you have something interesting or helpful to contribute, do it.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You are cornered, unless you can show where that 80 volts came from.

First it was 25 KV.

Then it was a kilovolt.

Then it was 150 volts.

Now you claim 80 volts.

Keep going in that direction, and eventually you *will* be right.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Bloviate! Bloviate! Bloviate! This thread is about bias... which you are incompetent to solve >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I've proved your incompetence. You can't demonstrate that you can solve the bias.

Flail! Flail! Flail! I love it! Isn't it time you brought out your PhD sickophant ?:-} ...Jim Thompson

You bailed on the mosfet thing. You were flat wrong and you know it. If you can demonstrate 80 volts, do it.

You have a pathetic need to prove how smart you are, so you start another bluster-thread to impress people, with an all-bipolar design to avoid any more mosfet blunders.

Listen: we are as tall, as handsome, as healthy, and as smart as God made us. There are a few hundred million people on Earth who are smarter than either of us. Get used to it. Posting smarmy challenges isn't a sign of intelligence.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Solve the bias? It's an attempt to detect the minimum drop across the 0.33 ohm resistors and ramp up the quiescent bias. I've considered similar schemes, but there are better and simpler ways to stabilize quiescent bias. Waste of time, mainly, too cute for its own good.

I don't think it works very well, but you wouldn't notice in a car with the engine running and wind noise and the radio blasting. The rest of the circuit is pretty crude.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Bloviate all you want, YOU can't solve the bias >:-}

Get over it. A cut-and-paste education ultimately shows itself. ...Jim Thompson

Bwahahahahaha! You dummy, you can't solve it >:-} ...Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson