Unshielded USB cables?

Some time ago I posted my problems with using USB for my data processing device (Ortmaster), and I found that some, and perhaps many, USB cables had poor connections between the plug shrouds and the cable shields. The problem was that the crimp was made over the folded-back shield braid and the plastic jacket, so that as the material softened, or as moisture entered, the connection became unreliable. Good cables measured less than a couple of ohms; bad cables measured 10, 20, or more ohms, and sometimes open circuit, varying as I bent the cable near the strain relief.

I found some cables with gold-flashed connectors that measured less than 1 ohm for 10 feet, and they have been working well. I found that some supposedly high-end cables, like Belkin, costing nearly $20 (compared to about $3 for mine), were inconsistent and often much worse, especially after a few flexes.

Recently I bought three USBA-to-miniB cables from Banggood.com, for $1.22 each:

They look very good and they seem to work well, and I liked the in-line filter (but it is non-magnetic, so probably just a plastic glob). When I checked the resistance between connectors, I got no continuity or resistance at all, and when I poked the multimeter lead through the cable, it still showed no connection, and apparently, no shield.

I did a bit of searching, and found one company that shows its USB cables as being unshielded:

The USB specification seems to require shielding for full-speed and high-speed USB, but not low-speed.

However, I think USB 2.0 is at least full-speed, and the cables are clearly marked USB 2.0. I did a quick check of other USB cables, and some seem to have no shield, while others (mostly thicker ones or with visible braid in clear jacket) do have a functional shield with continuity between connectors.

I don't know how important shielding might be for most USB purposes. I have heard that the purpose of the shield is more to reduce radiated RF emissions, than for noise immunity, but it seemed to make a big difference in my Ortmaster USB connection. However, it could be that the intermittent connection caused current spikes in the shield and noise coupled into the data lines.

Any similar experiences? Opinions? I will write an honest review on these cables but it's not worth trying to send them back for a refund. However, they may give me a credit on future purchases. I buy from them often and mostly have been pleased with their products, especially considering the price.

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

I posted a review of the USB cable on the Banggood site, and they emailed me asking for a video. So:

I made a video which was attached, but at 313 MB it was too large to send. But you may download from:

I hope it shows what I found, and as I said, the cable looks good and works OK, but being unshielded, it is not as advertised. It is a good deal for the money, and I have found other USB cables without shields, or with shields that are not securely connected to the grounding shells of the connectors.

I hope this helps.

Paul

From: snipped-for-privacy@banggood.com Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 9:19 PM To: snipped-for-privacy@pstech-inc.com Subject: review 18734207 SKU013840

Dear customer,

We are sorry to hear this news,for :

Would you please provide us the video to show the situation ?

Hope for your kindly understanding.

Best regards,

Doris

Reply to
P E Schoen

Yes. It's gotten worse now - it seems like all the USB A-B cables currently on the market, even the big brand names, have crimped shield termination. The shell to shell resistance may meet USB 2.0 6.6.3 at the time of factory test, but never at the time the cable reaches the end customer. Consumers don't know the difference because the cables seem to be functionally operational. USB-IF has not taken any enforcement or outreach action.

Unshielded detachable USB cables are totally in violation of the USB specification. I've seen very few of them. One major interconnect manufacturer is selling one, or was for a while, but they describe it as "USB 2.0 suitable" rather than USB 2.0 compliant or certified.

Regarding the link you found, I believe it's a mistake in their catalog. If you look at the actual drawing for their product (link below) it seems to specify 80 strand braided aluminum shield.

Unshielded cables are permitted only as captive cables on low-speed devices, for example the cable built into a mouse. Unshielded detachable cables are prohibited. I don't know chapter and verse off hand, but it's in the spec.

Low-speed devices are permitted by USB 2.0. However, all detachable USB

2.0 cables must meet the same requirements, regardless of device speed.

I think the horse is out of the barn and at this point the only option is to try to design USB devices to work reliably with open or resistive shield connections.

-- Adam

Reply to
Adam

Well, Banggood decided to refund the full purchase price of $3.66 for the three cables, rather than post my honest review. They said they would change the description to remove the "shielded" part, but they have not yet done so.

Oh, well, I guess that was to be expected. They don't like to "look bad", even if they are.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen