Splicing RG6/QS

I am trying to splice some RG6 Dual Shield and RG6 Quad Shield coaxial cable.

I have some questions:

A). For stripping RG6 Quad Shield, one web site says to remove the outer two layers of aluminum foil and braid, then fold back the inner layers of foil and braid.

Another web site says to cut off the outer 3 layers of foil and braid, leaving just the inner aluminum foil.

Would either of these work? Does folding back the aluminum foil and braid make much of a difference?

B) The Radioshack "Heavy-Duty" F-crimp connectors I bought are supposed to be for RG6 Dual Shield only, not Quad Shield, but they look exactly the same as those for QS.

Can I use F connectors made for RG6 Dual Shield for RG6/QS?

C) Would there be much signal degradation if I connected a stretch of RG6 Dual Shield to RG6 Quad Shield?

If they're both rated 75 ohms, there wouldn't be any wave reflections, right?

D) For coaxial cable, are there any safety hazards I should be aware of?

If I short the inner conductor to the outer layers of shielding, how many amps would flow? Enough to damage appliances like a cable modem or TV, etc.?

Thanks.

Reply to
redbrickhat

No. In order to have the shielding function correctly, you fold the outer braid back, peel off the outer foil, fold back the inner braid, and leave the inner foil alone.

If you cut the outer braid, it will not be electrically connected to the inner shield, and no longer quad shield.

If you do not remove the outer foil, you will again insulate the two layers. The foil is metal on one side, and plastic on the other.

If they fit.

AND USE THE PROPER CRIMPER. NO PLIERS!!

But you loose the shielding. In an area with strong RF transmitters, you could see ingress. It is visible here in Houston, Texas.

No damage to electronics. Only if you have power inserters in the line to drive remote amplifiers could you have a problem.

Your welcome.

Reply to
lnh

Either get the right connectors, or use double shielded cable. Trying to use the wrong connector is just asking for trouble.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

depends on the connector, the F connectors I'm familiar with have a part that goes between the inner foil and inner braid so yeah stripping three layers would be right for that, the

does it make electrical contact with anything?

if they fit.

frequency, and cable dependant,

only small ones where the splces are, using QS wouldn't get rid of them.

some types have a copper plated high tennsile steel inner conductor that can pierce skin if mishandled... if attached to a tr4ansmitter it may carry a high voltage, can't think of any other hazards.

depends on the application.

no.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

If you use the Thomas and Betts compression fittings, The formula I use is from this site....

You leave on the inner foil and fold back the inner braid. The outer braid and foil and jacket get tossed.

lnh wrote:

Spam goes well with eggs

Reply to
Pasta Nostra