cables specs for USB2?

I need to make some extension cables up for some USB2 devices in our lab but I'm not sure of the minimum specs for the cable. Any help much appreciated. Thanks, JB

Reply to
JB

but

I was going to use flying leads of 4M-5M for the devices. I didn't want to use extensions if I could help it, but needed the cable specs so I could fit my own 'made-up' leads.

cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

The easy and probably cheapest way is to simply buy a few 5m extension cables, and chop off the ends.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I think USB2 is spec'ed for 5 meters. I wouldn't recommend estensions - but rather long cables....

/Anders

Reply to
Anders F

but

The official USB2.0 specifications can be downloaded from here:

Included in the specifications are guidelines for the cables. Good luck. You would probably be better off just buying the cables you need rather than trying to make your own. Real engineering goes into making USB cables, it isn't just a matter of making the proper electrical connections like with RS232.

Reply to
Fritz Schlunder

Hi Ian,

Extension cables are hard to come by at the usual electronics departments of stores but I just bought a 6ft (1.8m) version at a computer store for around $12. They also had a cheaper brand but the difference in quality seemed substantial. The cable itself is 20AWG twisted, plus foil&braid outer shield.

If the OP doesn't want the connectors but just the cable it is usually less expensive to buy regular USB cables (A/B). Those are widely available at places such as Walmart.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg