ucontrollers (AVR/ATMega) and radio transceiver modules

D Yuniskis wibbled on Wednesday 27 January 2010 17:31

No - we do parallel feeds for each rad (flow+return). Usually in 8/10/15mm dropped off a main run of 22mm copper or plastic. So yes, each rad will have a valve at one end (old=flow control, new=thermostatic) and a flow balancing valve at the other end.

I'm likely to dispense with the valve at the rad and stick it where the flow for that rad tees off the main 22mm circuit.

Indeed. I used some proper "dunnies" (wooden hut and box) outside in Latvia when I toured there. Not bad in summer. Wouldn't fancy it at 0F!

Ditto.

Yep. It's fine but not *that* mechanically strong. Fine inside, wouldn't put it in front of a doorstep (though I met a registered gas fitter who wanted to).

You can use iron, but no one can be arsed with that now, except the gas companies for the last leg into the house, especially where it's likely to get a good kicking, eg in the garage.

Can't use plastic for gas, except in the road (that's standard now for the gas company).

There is a new thing called TracPipe which is some sort of light corrugated steel inside a plastic tube which can be hand bend minimising the number of joints needed.

For water, most people use plastic. For what it is, it's actually very good. Works at 10 bar (less for hot), push fit demountable fittings that are compatible with copper and it's incredibly fast to install so all the plumbers default to it. I've used it for temporary lash ups. Mice can eat it though. So for proper work, I still prefer soldered or compression fittings on copper. Little longer to do, should last decades. Again, no one uses iron any more except industrial, though there's plenty still in use, as well as lead.

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

OK. So, twice the pipe that would otherwise (e.g., series connected radiators) be needed. Besides the obvious capability of "local control" at each radiator, you also don't have the problem of the "room at the end of the line" getting the least heat! :<

But wouldn't that be "buried" (in a wall, below a floor, etc.)?

Note that "not bad" is not the same as "good"! ;-)

Our gas feed was just replaced (I guess they do it periodically as I have seen trucks methodically digging up people's yards all around town). The feed *at* the meter is metallic. But, below grade, some kind of plastic/nylon.

Amusing to watch them "pull" this new gasline *through* the old one. Have a gizmo that looks like a conical knife. Attached to a 3/8" (?) diameter steel cable. New gas line follows the broad end of the cone.

Cable is threaded through the existing gas line (from either the street end or the meter end, depends on logistics). Then, the free end is attached to the bucket on a back hoe. Back hoe operator repeatedly lifts and lowers the bucket (taking up the slack each time) to *pull* the assembly through the old gas line. Knife edges on the exterior of the cone slice the old gas line to shreds as it makes way for the new gas line to follow it. Incredible labor saver. However, if old gas line is pinched anywhere (e.g., tree root growing around it) I guess the forces exerted can snap the cable (connection to the "mule")

Always interesting to see how people solve problems.

I use 1" galvanize outside for feed lines to irrigation. Once below grade, I transition to PVC (we have essentially two grades of PVC here: thin wall and thick wall). Indoors, potable water is all copper.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

D Yuniskis wibbled on Wednesday 27 January 2010 18:21

Normally yes, but in my house, it will be in the side storage cupboards off the attic room so fairly accessible.

I was surprised. I expected a "certain smell", but what I got was a face full of ammonia. Quite logical but unexpected!

Yeah - those dudes and the water co's are incredibly inventive when it comes to not having to dig miles of trench.

Presumably you work to 1/2" and 3/4" copper inside? It's always fun working in an old house here because the copper could be 1/2" or 3/4" or 1" or the modern 15mm/22mm/28mm that looks absolutely identical. Until you try to make a compression fitting, then it all goes pear shaped. Personally we should have stayed imperial for plumbing - all the threaded stuff including taps is still BSP anyway...

Going to get told off soon for going off-topic ;->

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts