ATMEGA / AVR GCC - newbie questions

I want to re-port an existing ATMEGA project that I did some time back (in asm) to 'C' and would like to use the AVR GCC compiler. Can anyone give me some basic steps to getting started?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
DanD

Since you are apparently on a Windoze host, look up WinAVR. It's a completely packaged avr-gcc development system, with example makefile, chip programming software, debugger, etc. Very easy to get up and running. About a 13 MB download

HTH,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

I have good experiences with Imagecraft's ICCAVR and AVRStudio with Atmel's JTAGICE. The standard version of the compiler is only $199. They have a time limited fully functional demo version.

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen

On the following page click on Related Pages on the left and in the expanded list click on Installing the GNU tools:

Those are the instructions I used to install the gnu tools on my Unix box. I downloaded the latest gcc and binutils from ftp.gnu.org.

Another link I have is:

It seems a bit outdated though when you try compiling his sample program.

Another link which may be useful:

Rusty Wright

If it's just a small project < 4K you can use the free IAR compiler for the AVR. It's limited to 4K. You can download it for free from IAR.

It also works very well with AVR studio and the JTAG ICE 2...

Reply to
David Powell

get winavr from

go to avrgcc page get the tutorials for avrgcc and how to set it up. Also the academy pages

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Thanks to everyone for their valuable input. I'm leaning toward using the WIN-AVR compiler in conjunction with Atmel's AVR 4 Studio and JTAGICE-2. There is still some confusion on my part concerning the JTAGICE and ISP. It seems that the JTAGICE is not capable of programming the ATMEGA and that it still requires an AVRISP (or similar device) for programming. If this is true, it sure make for a cumbersome development interface. I'm more used to having only one programming/debug interface - ala Motorola (Freescale), Cygnal (SiliconLabs), etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
DanD

Definitely you can program ATMEGA using JTAGICE (if you mean the JTAGICE from Atmel). You can also buy inexpensive DUO programmer/emulator, which would allow you use both JTAG and ISP programming plus JTAG debug. It is about $50. Look for it on avrfreaks.com I use WinAVR in conjunction with Programmers Notepad, which is included into the package. You can also use e.g 'Crimson Editor', which allows to run 'make' from inside the editor. It seems more convenient than AVRStudio. Good luck.

Reply to
Alexander Baranov