Tuxedo Park

On PBS tonight. Should be interesting.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Missed it. I need more warning. Did you see the movie "The Darkest Hour"? I enjoyed it.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Sorry. But PBS tends to rerun stuff, and sometimes streams. It was really good.

Conant's book is good. The PBS thing is more personal than the book. Mo looked at it and said "he was autistic."

No. I haven't seen a movie in ages.

lunatic fringe electronics

Is that the one about a group of friends who were trapped in Russia during an alien invasion? That's where I first noticed Rachael Taylor's stunning looks although I'd seen her before in other films. Her acting is rather wooden though.

If you mean the WWII movie "Darkest Hour" (without "The"), I haven't had a chance to see it yet but have read about it and would love to see it.

Reply to
Pimpom

Oh my mistake, "Darkest Hour" about the early days of Churchill in WWII. I didn't know that things were that tenuous at the beginning.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

TiVO finds it as 'The Secret of Tuxedo Park: American Experience'

And there's more holds than volumes at the library...

Reply to
whit3rd

I was watching your PBS here for the first time this morning. They were screening a long documentary about the Great War from America's viewpoint. Even though it was obviously made by those of a Democrat persuasion, it was still totally engrossing. Sadly I could only spare 45m to it; the whole thing was about 4 hours long!

Cursitor Doom

you can watch WWI in "real-time" 100 years delayed

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Real time you say? Sadly if I can't spare 4 hours I certainly can't spare

4 years!! :-)
Cursitor Doom

it is "just" a weekly 10 minute summary of what happened that week 100 years ago :)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I saw the rerun last night. It's an absolute must-see. Lots of old footage I haven't seen and I've seen practically every PBS documentary for 40 years. The material on RADAR and SONAR and other stuff seems to have never been in a documentary before. The protest signs in WWII were literally identical, word for word to the signs in the Gulf and Iraq Wars. I've seen footage like that but not this footage.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

When the RadLab was disbanded in 1945, somebody (can't remember his name) decided that he couldn't let all that knowledge drift away, so he collected it into the RadLab books. It took me years to collect all

24 volumes. Amazing stuff, the birth of modern electronics.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Didn't they "reinvent electronics" at MIT? I thought the concept of quantitative feedback was born there and then, or something like that. I just got Camenzind's history book so maybe it will cover that.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

They made it quantitative, precise, and fast. And they did it in a couple of years. The books seeded generations of engineers.

Here is a picture from one of the books:

lunatic fringe electronics

Oh you did mean MIT. I thought you were making reference to the Tuxedo Park lab.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

They were related. Loomis selected MIT as the prime radar research place, and that became the RadLab.

lunatic fringe electronics

They're available for downloading online: Also in printed form: There are also oral histories from the project:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com