tuning an LC

Time of flight sounds good, but you need to make sure you're hearing the air-wave and not the wave propogated through the aircraft structure.

Thermal will likely get confused by humidity

Is there a way to detect an imminent stall and just goose the motor a bit if that triggers?

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

since it's mass flow that gives lift that's probably not a big problem. humiidity is going to mess it up though.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

That's an easy way to enter a spin.

Reply to
tm

On a sunny day (24 Nov 2013 04:47:04 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

Yes, that is one thing that needs to be tested, and also motor noise (motor plus propeller) may interfere with things.

Perhaps, again I will need to test things, at least thermal, with enough power, will not have the icing problem..

It is not s simple as increasing motor power, plane attitude, altitude (air pressure), wind, all play a role.

All this is why I have not 'decided' on a solution yet as I do not have perfect one.

Long time ago I did some experiments with old piezo transducers from acoustic remote controls, and made a Doppler radar with it. I still keep wondering if, instead of time of flight I could just use the Doppler interference frequency. Man that thing was sensitive, in a room it would detect if you blinked your eye. Pretty simple circuit too, just mixer difference frequency -> audio lowpass -> amplifier.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

--
Larkin's post, to which I was responding, has nothing to do with
lift.

--
Since

         L dI
    E = ------,
          dt

and - to a first approximation - L stays fixed, we have:

          L dI     82e-6H * 5e-1A
    dt = ------ = ---------------- = 8.2e-7s
           E           5e1V

that's about 820ns from space to mark as the tooth edge traverses
the magnetic field when it's spinning at the right speed.

That doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.
Reply to
John Fields

I make lots of mistakes, including stupid ones. No big deal. I'm not at all persuaded that this is one of them--if the required measurement is as narrowband as you suggest, it seems perverse to generate a signal so inconveniently large.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
This is all conjecture, of course, but if one were interested in the
period of the signal driving the tank, then the highish Q would