tuning an LC

"miso"

** FOAD you STINKING NUT CASE TROLL

Never post here again.

Reply to
Phil Allison

If you put the two caps in parallel, then how do you adjust the voltage on the variable cap? The signal is going to be across the adjustable caps just as well as the fixed cap.

But running them in series, the DC voltage on the adjustable cap can be set separately. Because the value of the variable is so much larger than the fixed cap, the signal voltage is attenuated on the variable and so less distortion results.

Is this what you were missing?

BTW, have you noticed the nutcase who seems to be following you around? I'm guessing you have a kill filter on him?

--

Rick
Reply to

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:21:54 -0800 (PST)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

My xperience with inductors is not so bad, been using potcores for ages in resonant circuits, and the same for small adjustable coils, every old radio has them. Larkin's circuit reminds me of a piezo transducer driver for Doppler I once build.

Old remote controls that used acoustics had the same circuit, with a step up winding sometimes. Stayed pretty much on frequency even with user abuse (dropping etc). Think I still have some of those driver transformers (adjustable IIRC).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"rickman"

** FFS - you blind as a bat, stupid retard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stinking TROLL called "miso" is following *me* around !!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want all trolls gone.

Firstly, the anonymous fuckwits using false names.

Then jerkoffs like you.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, that's true if it's gapped. Maybe I jumped into the thread, but did no t see that Larkins inductor was gapped, thought he would go for the minimum space solution. Gapping it makes it look more like an aircore which I stat ed was the way to avoid the drift.

Cheers

Klaus

Klaus Kragelund

The permeability of the core, among other things, depends on the strength of the magnetic field within the core. So, instead of a varactor, you could wind a magnetizing coil and use it to tune your circuit. But IMHO it would require a custom-wound coil and some experiments to select an appropriate ferrite material, so probably you won't like this solution. But for completeness... :-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

"Piotr Wyderski"

** Or, there could be some black faced lackey with a trimming tool who peaks the coil every half hour or so.

Probably the customer won't like this solution. But for completeness... :-)

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:-)

Once you have an electrically controllable tuning element, you can close the control loop and let the device self-adjust the resonance point at the desired frequency.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

** Or, there could be some black faced lackey with a trimming tool who peaks the coil every half hour or so.

Probably the customer won't like this solution. But for completeness... :-)

My god this cretin is retarded.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Try doing the math. Very simple.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, the little onboard thingies must be gapped too. Or they use the shittiest ferrite known to man... same thing. :)

Neat thing I guess is, if the inductance and tempco are vastly higher than normal, one can reasonably guess the gap is much smaller than usual. Not sure what value that would be, but...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Use a varactor diode as a part of the C. Supply the diode with a tuning voltage from the DAC. And then, as suggested, close the loop in a software trimming/calibration routine.

If the varactor represents a small part of a series C, it will see a smaller part of the 60 V p-p.

If Mama Cass had just split that ham sandwich with Karen Carpenter,
they'd both be alive today.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Biggest still-extant varactor I know of is the BB201, about 100 pF per half. Takes quite a few to replace a 2.2 uF Y5V. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sure, a synthetic L or C would work. Tunable with a trimpot is easy. But it's 60 volts p-p with half an amp of circulating current, and it's floating.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

mosfet

50

shielded

trimmable

the caps

steps.

uniform.

in

Here is a wild idea for you: Synthesize the inductor with a power opamp based gyrator. Then you could get controlled tempco and much lower drift and relatively high L accuracy. I bet you could even make it tunable.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

all that easy to get hold of, but I managed it - you should find it easier.

I think i need to see quality dimensioned drawings for this one. I think i can see how to do it but i have this nagging suspicion that i am missing something. Like how to make the adjustment stable.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

ohms. Peak inductor current is half an amp or so.

inductors are mostly +-20%. So, how to tune it?

inductors look too wimpy for this frequency and current.

In fact they aren't but John Larkin doesn't know enough about the ferrite cores and adjusters that he could buy to be aware of that

assorted film caps, like those nice WIMA parts.

You wouldn't need a power op amp to feed in enough quadrature current to shift the frequency to exactly 107kHz.

My low distortion oscillator uses this trick - and it seems to work fine in the LTSpice simulation. You do need a good low distortion four-quadrant multiplier to make the frequency shift adjustable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

and relatively high L accuracy. I bet you could even make it tunable.

Drive the tuning quadrature current through an isolated winding with - say - only 20% of the turns of the tank circuit coil.

The tuning current is lot less than half an amp. It would help if the inductor/transformer was wound on a heavily gapped ferrite core, so you could set your base inductance with a +/-3% tolerance, which would make the worst case tuning current a lot lower.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I can see how to do it but i have this nagging suspicion that i am missing something. Like how to make the adjustment stable.

It may be a practicable idea, but it certainly isn't practical.

You can buy heavily gapped EPCOS P26x16 pot cores with a hole through the - gapped - centre, and an adjuster to screw into the gap to bridge the gap in a smoothly variable fashion.

It's a very old-fashioned solution, but Farnell and Newark still stock the adjusters - I've posted the part numbers elsewhere in this thread.

Beats the hell out of grinding ferrite yourself.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

I've done my share of trim. Trust me. OK, laser trim and fuse trim. I have explained my math.

Your approach doesn't make sense. I guess we will leave it at that.

Reply to
miso