Trying to model loop antenna (why does capcitance go down when adding parallel cap?)

(in ) about 'Trying

cap?)', on Tue, 26 Apr 2005:

resonant circuit - it is an antenna. That means that there

Govt's electronics set) has appreciable RR.

Wouldn't a small, unloaded loop antenna serve as a pure h-field probe and pick up a low-frequency signal without reference to radiation resistance? After all, if the loop feed a high-Z amplifier, radiation resistance has no effect on the signal amplitude.

John

(in ) about 'Trying

cap?)', on Tue, 26 Apr 2005:

resonant circuit - it is an antenna. That means that

Govt's electronics set) has appreciable RR. ....

Yes, of course. The OP mentioned wanting to see a signal apparently coming from another state, so we could assume this is probably a far field situation, (even at 60 KHz, where lamda is 5 km). But it is certainly possible to consider only the B component and calculate sensitivity based only on enclosed flux. I think that the ratio of RR losses to internal losses is a good figure of merit for a loop antenna used in the far field, but models without RR would be useful.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

John,

Do you know of a good reference that discusses RR losses?

Reply to
Stephen