Transmitter design

I want to transmit video 100+ yards. I was wondering if there is a standard rule for approximately how far 1Watt will be receivable. Thanks!

Reply to
IcedZ

Depends on bandwidth, frequency, receiver gain, link noise etc .

With the right conditions 1W of transmitted power could be receivable on Earth when transmitted from Pluto .... and beyond

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

Obviously. but that isn't helpful for this. Any GENERAL rule for this? I am unsure of what frequency range I will be using, but it will probably be in the 100's of MHz range.

Reply to
IcedZ

formula at the bottom of the 3rd page

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

a 1 watt hand held radio would get out to about 1 KM.

you cant send baseband video over the radio! this has to be modualted onto a carrier and snet that way..right! marc

Reply to
LVMarc

No, there isn't. Somewhere between 10 meters and 55 km. You have not provided enough data. Please provide details:

- Resolution (digital, analog?)

- Frame rate

- above helps determine required BW

- Do you need to conform to a "standard"?

- What type / size antennas can you provide?

- How high are they?

- is omnidirectional reception important?

- do you have line of sight between transmitter and receiver?

- is either the receiver or transmitter mobile?

- can you tolerate dropouts? How many?

- do you need audio too? (same questions as above)

- what's your equipment budget?

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

If there's no intereference, the _minimum_ is line of sight. It will go at least as far as you can see, so your 100+ yards is no problem. Put buildings and interfereing signals into the mix and that's a horse of a different color.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Like these?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why not reverse engineer exsisting designs.

Cher here

The power spec for the 100m range should be in the data sheet.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Wow! Thanks for that. :-) Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

You NEVER know what you'll find on the net, do you? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

only the inverse square radiation law: to go twice as far you need four timnes the power.

So VHF-high band or UHF. go look at some video sending appliances.

if both ends are fixed locations directional antennas can reduce the power needs a lot.

--

Bye.
   Jasen