Has the Philips web site finally gone to lalaland?

Tried to open some 80C51 app notes. Ok, I got used to that web site being sluggish, waiting for stock quotes and all that nonsense. But now whenever I click on an app note some glitz page with a soccer ball comes up.

What's going on over there?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I see the soccer ball on the first page, but the rest is working nicely as usual. I just downloaded AN10225_2.pdf.

Maybe you need to upgrade your system. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hello Spehro,

Hmm, that would make it two systems already. Tried on both PCs in the office, same thing. Looking at any other mfg's app notes such as Atmel works fine. Oh well, they've got 8051s as well.

Anyhow, I certainly won't upgrade anything just because one company thinks they have to over-sophisticate ;-)

I already hung up on the IEEE virtual communities because of that and told them so. Seems most other have, too, since traffic has come to a crawl there.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:Fp49g.16175$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Joerg,

Did a quick search and downloaded IC22_AN425, "PCF8584 interfacing I2C-bus controller to 80C51" with no problems.

No stock quotes, no bouncing ball, nothing strange. In fact, the site seems a lot faster and easier to use than in days past.

I'm running Opera 8.54 with javascript, animated gifs, images and popups turned off.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Hello Mike,

I was browsing the app note listing and clicking from there. Now it works again (slow). Some days it does, others it doesn't.

From where are you trying? From California I see lots of latency.

Here it's Mozilla, 1.6 as well as 1.7. All the fluff turned off as well.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Same here!. Been using Opera for past year, absolutely no problem. A pleasure not seeing any fluff and junk. john

Reply to
John Jardine.

Firefox 1.0.7 myself. Love it! I particularly like being able to individually set "fluff" by site.

...Jim Thompson

Was using Firefox no problem before Opera. Only changed cos' Opera loaded 3 seconds faster. john

Reply to
John Jardine.

Hello Mike,

Ok, did it a few times: When searching AN439 I get a few hits and clicking one yields the app note (one that I was actually looking for). But for that to work you need a priori knowledge about the existence of a certain app note.

When perusing the list on the micro controller page and clicking AN439 from there I get, you guesed it, the soccer ball. Well, at least by now it has been hammered into my head that there is a FIFA World Cup this year and that there is a Philips chip inside the tickets. Doesn't say how much the tickets are...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Here Firefox loads in

Joerg wrote in news:I179g.16237$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Hello Joerg,

Ontario, Canada. Maybe 120 miles North of Speff.

Version 1.5 works fine here. Actually seems a bit faster than normal.

Thanks for mentioning this, Joerg. The Philips site was very poor a while ago so I stopped using it. But they have made significant improvements and it seems very usable now:)

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

No problem here either with a slightly older version of Opera.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"John Jardine." wrote in news:e42veh$fc0$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

Same here - Opera loads much faster than Firefox or MSIE. It is also much easier to change options. Firefox is cumbersome and lacks most of the neat things Opera has, so I don't use it much. Only on some sites that require bizarre behavior. Even then I often end up loading MSIE. But then I make sure the firewall is running properly:)

Oddly enough, Netscape 2.02 is still used regularly for a number of tasks, such as downloading pdf and exe files. I also wrote a simple program to convert the Netscape bookmarks into a two-column html page showing all the links. This becomes the home page for Opera, Firefox, MSIE, and Netscape, which is very convenient since they all show the same thing.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Joerg wrote in news:cn79g.16245$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

[...]

Hello Joerg,

I couldn't even find AN439 or AN-439 using the Philips search. I had to go to google, which gave

AN439 87C751 fast nicad charger

But no bouncing ball.

Regards,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Monett

Hello Mike,

Hmm, that shouldn't be much different in latency for EU sites, at least not by more than a factor of two. Although, right now Philips times out again whereas

is around 200msec from California. Usually Philips is around 180msec.

What I wonder is why small companies like Cadsoft (Germany) manage latencies of 30msec to California. They must do something right. Maybe Philips should send a few of their web site designers there.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Time to upgrade to firefox 2.0. ;)

Reply to
mrdarrett

sorry, meant to say firefox 1.5. ;)

I had firefox 0.9 awhile ago, downloaded files would be broken sometimes, but all fixed now in the latest version.

here at work we're forced to use aaaIEeee. at least activex is disabled...

Reply to
mrdarrett

I'm one of those types who refrain from "upgrading", only to be burned.

I'm regretting that, in my haste to get a replacement system on the air, I bought one with WinXP already installed on it.

Anyone gone back to Win2K from WinXP?

...Jim Thompson

Should work fine, just start from a formatted disk like you would with a newly built machine. If you're nervous about it, pop a new drive in there and start with that, you can always unplug it and go back to the original, and huge drives are almost free these days. If it works out okay, you can leave both drives in there.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Funny you should ask... I was forced to do just that, after upgrading my mainboard.

Reply to
mrdarrett