TI Audio dac 1742, any pin to pin chip?

Oh, Boki !

Not again ! Is your DAC giving trouble now ?

I'd try the usual suspects from Cirrus and AKM first. I don't ever recall seeing pin compatibles though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Dear All, TI Audio dac 1742, any pin to pin chip?

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Hi Graham,

No trouble, just want to use something good for myself, but I don't want to change layout.

:D

Cirrus, AKM, I will check them, thanks a lot!

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

I'm just finishing a design with Cirrus Logic's cs5381, and it seems to be a nice chip. They have an evaluation board, which is quite helpful. I considered an AKM part (I saw some used in Creative's audio gear), but it looked like an older technology.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hi Win, DAC PCM1742's load impedance is 5k ohm, so if I want to use 4 ohm speakers ( pair ), is that OK?

Can I calculate it by:

power *5000/(5004) ?

Or How to calculate the maximum available power or minimum resistor...

Thank you very much.

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Boki, you crack me up!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Has your brain finally exploded Boki ?

DACs aren't meant to drive speakers directly. You need an amplifer section.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I wonder just how much the 'crack' might have to do with it actually !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes, I do .... :D

long time ago ( I turn to digital design ), almost forget the analog things...

I am sorry.

It is depend on power amplifier....

My god... haha... I ever design amplifier chip....

Reply to
Boki

Yes, I make a big mistake.

here is my idea:

Does it possible to connect low power speaker directly? ex: headset/smal/thinl speaker

and I want to parallel with a extra speaker for professional user.

How can I calculate them?

Thank you very much..

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

What power do you need ?

It seems like you're designing an iPod type product ? I expect you don't need much power. There are many reasonable low-voltage class-D ( power saving ) amplifiers available now. TI makes some worth looking at.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I guess you need something like a walkman has ?

What's your supply voltage ? How many watts do you need ?

Btw - have you sorted out your interface to the SGS ? mp3 decoder chip ok ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hi, I think it is ok to MP3/VIDEO decoder, we have a multimedia box already, right now just want to change it to a smaller box for different purpose. : )

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Hi Graham, If I want to drive a low power speaker, it seemst that I dont' have to connect to a amplifier first, am I right?

So, if possible, I hope to calculate the power capability,

so I think the DAC also include small power amplifier function right?

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Boki, READ THE DATA SHEET. Output 0.62*Vcc p-p (5V) into 5k. I make that about 0.25mW. If that's enough audio output, all you need to do is hitch up a 5k speaker and you're sailing.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

All the DACs I've met are 'pre-amp level' for lack of a better description. Most today also have differential outputs that need a differential to single ended stage that also includes a low pass filter.

Some consumer DACs targeted at the 'walkman market' might conceivably have tiny power amps built in but the suggested load of 5kohms suggests this isn't the case with the DAC you're using.

What DAC is it ?

What's your supply rail voltage(s) ?

Graham

Reply to