TI, TPA6110A2, audio amplifier for PCM 1742

150mW, you're complaining? Well, OK, the distortion starts climbing above 60mW, that's pretty wimpy. But hey, with Boki one has to keep a unique perspective. It's way better than driving the speaker directly from the DAC output. :)
--
 Thanks,
    - Win

. ^^^^^^^^^

Now, now, Martin, calm down. There's no need to be so upset you become incoherent. Hmm, I can't see you simply using an npn-pnp o/p pair, not by themselves in a standard complementary emitter-follower anyway, given the high crossover distortion.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The "Why I love Spain" department.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

that is only 0.15 watts. what supplies do you have?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

It's OK.

The DAC is irrelevant

Those impedance is ???

What is your supply voltage ?

What is your required output power ?

It would help if you actually answered these questions. Any advice otherwise will be questionable / incomplete..

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thats normal for Boki! I'd use a TL072 and a npn pnp o/p pair. Brute force and ignorance. since I would at least be able to the the damn things!

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I read in sci.electronics.design that Winfield Hill wrote (in ) about 'TI, TPA6110A2, audio amplifier for PCM 1742', on Thu, 29 Sep

2005:

Two solutions, nasty and nice:

Nasty: include the output pair in the feedback loop of the op-amp. The crossover region effectively shrinks to very small. But it's still very audible, because you get 0.1% or so of every odd harmonic up to light.

Nice: steal Peter Walker's (QUAD 405) current-dumping circuit, allowing the op-amp to drive the load at very low signal levels.

John Woodgate

ah, hayfever pills hadn't kicked in. Oh the trauma of rural life! Should have put the word "see" somewhere in the sentance

NPN +PNP, across the rails, bases tied together to the opamp o/p. Standard Studer granny speaker driver for decades IIRC. Might go to the expense of emitter resistors. Not exactly hifi, but adequate

Anyway, I played the tourist today, went into the old town, taking pictures, after cafe con leche, tostadas con tomate y aceite on the pavement cafe. Splendid

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hi All, How do you think about TPA6110A2 audio amplifier for PCM 1742, the output is a 1W thin/mini speaker.

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Yep, it's a favorite of Tony Williams; we've discussed it often here on s.e.d., and I've used variants of it several times in my projects. In its simplest form only the two transistors plus two to four extra resistors are required. There's a simple version in AoE page 254, Good Circuits, item O, plus a high-voltage version, page 256, item W.

Yes, I thought Martin would come back with the two-diode trick, but...

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It seems I can't use that, because my speaker is 1W, right? If I use that chip, I will get only quiet output on my 1W speaker, am I right?

my power supply can be 5V~12V, 1A~2A,

BR/

Boki.

"martin griffith" ???????: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Boki

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

60mW or 150mW with a Klipshorn would make for a descent sound level.
--
Thanks,
Fred.

Hey, Martin, I thought you were hitting Spain's snooze time eight minutes ago?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Isn't there some circuit where the emitters of the two trannies are connected to the rails, and the supply current of the opamp gets coupled to their bases?

I could almost swear I saw that in AoE, but don't know what it's called to search on it. I've tried "op-amp booster", but I get a bunch of weird stuff.

But there are lots of circuits - here's one of the first that's relatively straightforward:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Very nice Martin, but you should see my new little flat in Apricale/Italy, one of the most beautiful Ligurian hill-villages.

I will make some pics when I have moved in. But first I will party with a couple of friends to inaugurate this new chapter in my life. Of course any s.e.d-friends are welcome too.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera/Apricale, Italy

I'll drop in when my new car gets delivered

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hello John,

Or use a blazingly fast amp and RF transistors. Then the crossover shrinks from very small to really, really small. Unless the whole chebang becomes unstable, that it.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Well... it is possible to forward bias them out of pure class B.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Oh, sure. Invite us, and then not give us directions! ;-)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida