Though most of you won't care

My dad passed away early this morning, so I will be taking a break for Usenet and other online groups for the time being. My email address is good, if someone needs something from me. Goodbye.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Sorry to hear that. Loosing a parent is a shock like no other. I hope he passed away peaceably.

Rick C.

Reply to
Rick C

------------------------------

** Happened to me when I was nine.

With no older sibling around, I became the "man of the house".

With a 53 year old mum to look after.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

One is never truly prepared for losing a caring parent. I think that your calling him 'dad' means he meant a lot to you too.

My condolences.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Given your mum was ~44 when you were born, did you have younger siblings?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Sorry to heard that man, keep strong!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

enet and other online groups for the time being. My email address is good, if someone needs something from me. Goodbye.

Sorry to hear that. My dad died in 1997 - on the same day as Princess Diana as it happened. I'd gone back to Australia ten days earlier, mainly to pro vide some support from my mother while he went down-hill, and hung around f or a bit afterwards (for the funeral and to help her get settled).

I didn't have much time to get depressed about it until I went back to the Netherlands, but I wasn't all that useful for the next six months.

My mother died at 95, a few years back (2013) but she'd been in care for ab out five years by then, and died unexpectedly, and without drama, so it had less effect.

Modern kids tend to outlast their parents, so most of us will end up going through it. It's not fun.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

From a distance, it appears to be better than parents burying their children.

I hope I never have first hand experience; if I do then it will be interesting to see how much Larry Niven's "Protector" stories will resonate with me.

As for parents, it can help if "their time has come" and they are no longer enjoying life. That was the case with my father.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I care. My mother died in 1984 followed by my father two years later. My wife died in 2007. My best friend's wife died this year. My heart goes out to those who have lost dear ones. I have experienced it and it hurts for a long time. But eventually you come to remember the good things and reflect less on the agony you experienced during the ordeal.

Please accept my sympathies.

John Smith

Reply to
John S

It's hard to lose a parent. Fortunately time heals all wounds. Prayers offered up for you and your family's well being.

John 11:25-26a Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in me, even if he dies, shall live; and whoever lives and believes in me shall never die."

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

We're sorry to hear that, you be strong.

My niece had a baby girl a few days ago, and we soon realized that she had it 100 years to the day, after my dad was born. 100 years, parent to great grandchild.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

My father passed away last year at 91, he was fortunate he never went to a care home or any of that and was still somewhat independent. We had some pretty great times together the last couple years he was alive, we still did lunch every week up until the week before he died.

About two weeks before it happened he got the closest I'd seen to him being very depressed, his sister had passed after a long struggle with Alzheimers several years earlier, and he said he was just so sad so many people he'd known from the war and so many of his past family and friends were all gone. In hindsight I guess I should've seen that as a sign Dad might not have much time left.

He became ill quite suddenly one morning and passed away in the hospital about 48 hours later. I was glad it didn't happen so suddenly that my mother and I didn't have the chance to be with him for the afternoon on that last day, and chat for a while as he was leaving us, he didn't seem particularly afraid just liked to chat about films, and boats, his kids and grandkids, and which nurse was a real looker as he always did :) He eventually fell asleep, was given the last rites in the night, and passed away the next morning.

Reply to
bitrex

Dad was buried at the veteran's cemetery on Cape Cod in a small ceremony a couple days after the 4th of July, an absolutely perfect July day in New England. There was a small honor guard, memorial service was about

15 min long, Taps was played and wrap it up. Quick and just beautiful just like he would have wanted it.
Reply to
bitrex

Very sorry to hear that. Good luck with everything.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yeah. My 98yo mother is currently depressed :(

As for me, I enjoy pointing out to people that my average heartrate is infinitesimally above 0bpm, and the implications of that should be pondered carefully.

As for what happens to me after I'm dead, I really don't care. I've told my daughter I have a slight preference for her feeding me to her dog. I suspect that would be illegal, and she doesn't seem interested - but it gets across the point I don't want her to spend money /for me/. (If she spends it for herself, that's fine, of course). on the dead.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yikes! Don't say that stuff to ya kids, man....:(

I suspect that would be illegal, and she doesn't

Cremation is a perfectly sensible option as my father and I agreed on, I think the whole tradition of embalming and viewing the corpse is bizarre.

Reply to
bitrex

There are lots of practical expenses to a relative passing too, unfortunately, beyond just the funerary care. my father tended to collect things as many elderly people do, cleaning out, sorting, organizing, closing out bank accounts, subscriptions, and credit cards, recovering all assets, canceling various services like internet and cable, transferring his vehicle and property titles, dealing with the probate court in my case as there were some issues with my father's will, etc.

With some help from the rest of my family it took me the better part of two months working several hours a day to sort it all out. Lots of people will want notarized death certificates for various tasks they're $20 a piece around here. :|

It's pretty exhausting being the guy responsible for wrapping up the better part of 100 years of a life

Reply to
bitrex

for

is

s Diana

g around

to the

for

so it had

going

to a

me

ll did

being

imers

e'd

gone.

e much

al about

and I

ay, and

aid just

h nurse

iven the

y a

in long,

ould have

Of course when they spend money on a dead person they are spending it on th emselves. The dead person won't be seeing any of it, but the living will a nd it will make them feel better even if it is something buried in the grou nd. Just thinking about it being with you makes them feel better. Everyth ing about death and funerals is about the living and coping with the event.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

I've noticed many engineers don't seem to have a tendency towards sentimentality which I think is a shame.

Though sometimes sentimental about old electronics and computers and cars and stuff that being barely out of my 30s I don't completely understand. Bob Pease might still be alive if he weren't so sentimental over that janky-ass hooptie Volkswagen bug. It's old junk that sucked when it was new, throw it in the garbage, already! Er I mean properly recycle it.

Reply to
bitrex

Get an engineer to write a eulogy and it would be like "He was alive. And now he's not." Oh that's great, wonderful, very touching.

Reply to
bitrex