What do employers want?

Is a degree from DeVry University just as good as a degree from California State University. CA state calls it B.S. Electrical Engineering versus DeVry calls it B.S. Electrical Engineering Technology.

DeVry Faster, More Expensive

State University Takes longer, Less Expensive

Reply to
pseidel78

BSEE BSEET

The latter uses little or no calculus and is treated as a glorified associates degree by many large companies. If a degree is required, chances are a BSEET won't make the cut, particularly if the competition has a BSEE (and all else equal). Given that there is likely to be a surplus of BSEEs when you graduate...

Forget the SBEET.

Reply to
krw

It doesn't matter at all. Smart employers want someone who can do the job, and who fit in with their corporate culture, nothing else matters. It makes no difference where you did your degree, or even if you have a degree at all in many cases. There are a few anal retentive exceptions of course, but they are best avoided anyway.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

It does matter. There are MANY large employers that treat a DeVry degree as something of an in-between between a technician and an engineer. If you have the aptitude and the desire to be an engineer - DO NOT GO THE DEVRY ROUTE. I work with several very talented indiviuals whose career will not progress beyond the most junior level engineering grades (if they are lucky) becuase of the BSEET degree. If you are content with being a super technician, then go ahead and pay the high fees for a DeVry degree, just know what you are getting. And the path out is most of the time a complete reset. No credits will transfer over.

Reply to
bulegoge

Hiring an engineer, I'd strongly prefer the university degree, because I'd know the guy got the physics and math that an engineer needs.

If I were hiring a tech, I might prefer the DeVry, because a university engineer might decide he's underemployed and move on at the first opportunity.

John

.

eir

ou

One word: ditto.

Reply to
miso

Sorry, I thought they were both proper degrees. So one is masquerading as a shorter "technology degree". There are similar things here in Australia too. If the OP wants a proper engineering degree then BSEE is the way to go.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

We had a DeVry tech many moons ago. The guy was a great tech (I trained him ;-) and eventually moved to the Research Division and was promoted to Engineer. He ended up the same level I was. However, in Research that was essentially a technician level. He was one of hundreds, if not thousands, to make it that far though. He also left the company because the pressure got to him.

Reply to
krw

I've had good luck with Heald graduates as techs. But they can't hack much serious theory, so that limits them to being techs or "project engineers."

A university EE education is a PITA, but they do pound in the fundamentals.

John

Eh, there's a recession now, perfect time to go to university. If I weren't such a coward, I'd drop my job in a nanosecond and start everything over again. I'd avoid all the pseudo-degrees though. In the end I think I'd avoid EE altogether and go into bio-something. Or the study of complexity in biological systems if such a thing exists.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

The short answer is "No". Employers that require an Engineering degree generally look for a degree from an ABET accredited college or university. DeVry is not accredited. See the following websites:

search=3D"DeVry" The article in the 2nd website implies that Devry was accredited at one time, was "unaccredited" and is up for re-accreditation in 2010. Regards, Jon

Reply to
jd_lark

You just need to insure that his most attractive opportunity -- assuming he's good -- is going to be within your company as an engineer...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Someone that will come in early, stay late, don't bitch when you don't get a raise in (5) years, answers yes to everything, "Heh Bill want to s$ck my d*ck", and finally an individual that will not get a lawyer after 20+ years of service and you get the shaft for no being late multiple time cause you were taking your wife for chemo treatment. BTW, we throw away application that have the words DeVry on them!

Reply to
PinkFloyd43

Even if it's "didn't go to DeVry"?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

That's OK, we throw away applications that don't know the difference between the singular and plural forms of a noun.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Simple. Manager looks at resume. Sees Devry, files resume in circular file.

Unless there is something in experience, like 10 years of experience in field, military training, or ham radio that might make him think you actually have a clue.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.