VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

Which of the technologies (VPN or VNC) can be used for debugging a
software in a hardware board (Hardware board is more than 2000 KM
away).

Which of the above two technologies will enable me to port a software /
operating system into a hardware from a remote place ?

Could someone tell me advantages / disadvantages of VNC and VPN w.r.t
Embedded world ?

what are the complexities involved in implementing these ?

Which has the easy setup and efficient for embedded
developments/debugging ?

Kindly let me know the best tools available for VPN and VNC for linux.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Once you have done some basic web searching so that you know what these
two very different, complimentary technologies actually are, then people
will be able to help your specific questions.

Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

Or not, coz they sound very much like homework questions.

--
Nobby Anderson

Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

I actually thought it sounded more like an incompetent employee being
given a task he can't handle, and trying to pass it on to Usenet for
help.  But you're right, it could just as well have been an incompetent
student (lazy students being incompetent by definition).

Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware
Dont take this wrongly.
I am completely new to these territories and i am exploring ways.

Thats what i am thinking about. (Telnet / TFTP or SSH) Actually, i am
exploring ways (VPN and others) . I had time to fire qureies and 100%
strong belief in google groups to have the precise answer alone. Rather

than reading through the whole length of nice good documents....

Yes, i accept, I asked the questions what i felt/thought in my mind
before exploring those Territories.
I tried between different technologies. I have not used VPN or VNC
until now. Now i am clear in those VPN / VNC.
Now, i am very much aware of these and so, it was indeed helpful to me.

An engineers life has many such things .... :) :(
You can view it any angle. But, google & groups cleared my doubts.
We should not worry about others while asking questions/doubts. Then we

will be in the dark for a bit long time without info in that. Thx for
google and groups.

Thx ,
Karthik Balaguru

Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

With that attitude, you're going to get very little out of Usenet (there
is no such thing as "google groups", unless you mean the broken
interface you are using to post to Usenet.  Please learn how to use it
properly, by the way.)

Usenet groups are used by real people, who have many things to do with
their time, and choose to spend some of it conversing on these groups -
either to ask for help, or to give help, or to listen to others in the
hope of learning something interesting, or just for entertainment.  No
one is interested in helping someone too lazy to read easily available
web pages.

If you have done some basic searching, and read up a little on the
subject, but are having difficulty understanding, then by all means ask
others.  Maybe someone will help you, or point you to other useful
documentation.

Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware
Dude this is what you need.

I am assuming this is from your work PC, which is behind a firewall
already.  So we won't address that end.

To do this cheaply.

Your PC

  company network

   Internet

   a firewall (linksys Befsr41 for example. sx If you want to go the VPN

   |           route)

   switch

   A linux box ( fedora, susie, whatever pick a standard install to make
                 life easy)

   Also attach to the switch the following.
   your hardware's ethernet connection

   a remote power strip  WTI  for example.

   For configuration and software.
   On the firewall forward port 22 to your Linux box.  Then you can
tunnel anything you want through the ssh connection.  vnc, telnet, any
socket connections you want.

   you can also use the linux box to build software for the target and
load from it.  Also use the linux box to connect to the serial port of
your board and use minicom. It has vnc server on most installs.

So look up putty for the ssh and forwarding.  If you are an engineer
you'll figure it out.

except for the remote power strip it is cheap.

This should get you off to a good start.

Cheers

Re: VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

generic Unix Way is ssh or telnet, if encryption is not needed.

Sven

--
"Thinking of using NT for your critical apps?
                                  Isn't there enough suffering in the world?"