VPN and VNC for Development of software and Porting of Operating systems for hardware

Hi,

Which of the technologies (VPN or VNC) can be used for debugging a software in a hardware board (Hardware board is more than 2000 KM away).

Which of the above two technologies will enable me to port a software / operating system into a hardware from a remote place ?

Could someone tell me advantages / disadvantages of VNC and VPN w.r.t Embedded world ?

what are the complexities involved in implementing these ?

Which has the easy setup and efficient for embedded developments/debugging ?

Kindly let me know the best tools available for VPN and VNC for linux.

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
KBG

Or not, coz they sound very much like homework questions.

--
Nobby Anderson
Reply to

Once you have done some basic web searching so that you know what these two very different, complimentary technologies actually are, then people will be able to help your specific questions.

Reply to
David Brown

I actually thought it sounded more like an incompetent employee being given a task he can't handle, and trying to pass it on to Usenet for help. But you're right, it could just as well have been an incompetent student (lazy students being incompetent by definition).

Reply to
David Brown

generic Unix Way is ssh or telnet, if encryption is not needed.

Sven

-- "Thinking of using NT for your critical apps? Isn't there enough suffering in the world?" (Advertisement of Sun Microsystems in Wall Street Journal) /me is giggls@ircnet,

on the Web

Reply to
Sven Geggus

Dont take this wrongly. I am completely new to these territories and i am exploring ways.

Thats what i am thinking about. (Telnet / TFTP or SSH) Actually, i am exploring ways (VPN and others) . I had time to fire qureies and 100% strong belief in google groups to have the precise answer alone. Rather

than reading through the whole length of nice good documents....

Yes, i accept, I asked the questions what i felt/thought in my mind before exploring those Territories. I tried between different technologies. I have not used VPN or VNC until now. Now i am clear in those VPN / VNC. Now, i am very much aware of these and so, it was indeed helpful to me.

An engineers life has many such things .... :) :( You can view it any angle. But, google & groups cleared my doubts. We should not worry about others while asking questions/doubts. Then we

will be in the dark for a bit long time without info in that. Thx for google and groups.

Thx , Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
KBG

With that attitude, you're going to get very little out of Usenet (there is no such thing as "google groups", unless you mean the broken interface you are using to post to Usenet. Please learn how to use it properly, by the way.)

Usenet groups are used by real people, who have many things to do with their time, and choose to spend some of it conversing on these groups - either to ask for help, or to give help, or to listen to others in the hope of learning something interesting, or just for entertainment. No one is interested in helping someone too lazy to read easily available web pages.

If you have done some basic searching, and read up a little on the subject, but are having difficulty understanding, then by all means ask others. Maybe someone will help you, or point you to other useful documentation.

Reply to
David Brown

Dude this is what you need.

I am assuming this is from your work PC, which is behind a firewall already. So we won't address that end.

To do this cheaply.

Your PC | company network | Internet | a firewall (linksys Befsr41 for example. sx If you want to go the VPN

| route) | switch | A linux box ( fedora, susie, whatever pick a standard install to make life easy)

Also attach to the switch the following. your hardware's ethernet connection

a remote power strip WTI for example.

For configuration and software. On the firewall forward port 22 to your Linux box. Then you can tunnel anything you want through the ssh connection. vnc, telnet, any socket connections you want.

you can also use the linux box to build software for the target and load from it. Also use the linux box to connect to the serial port of your board and use minicom. It has vnc server on most installs.

So look up putty for the ssh and forwarding. If you are an engineer you'll figure it out.

except for the remote power strip it is cheap.

This should get you off to a good start.

no one